Portable 2 is Coming

Share experiences from the entire series, including PS Online, Universe, and Zero.

Portable 2 is Coming

Postby Thoul » Fri May 21, '10, 7:17 pm

Today Sega has announced that Phantasy Star Portable 2 for PSP is coming to North America and Europe in Fall 2010. Have a look at Sega of America's announcement for some early screens, but be prepared to feel insulted if you're a big fan of the Classic Series and not so hot on PS Online.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Portable 2 is Coming

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri May 21, '10, 7:23 pm

Fans of old school Phantasy Star can also rejoice — the game features the return of Battle and Challenge missions, adapted from the original Phantasy Star Online.

I feel insulted...

But I'm looking forward to this game none-the-less
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Thoul » Fri May 21, '10, 7:27 pm

I did warn you. :lol: Whoever wrote that announcement seems determined to alienate as many fans as they want to excite.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri May 21, '10, 7:34 pm

Pretty much yeah, honestly, I'm getting sick of online Phantasy Star games, they're usually just the same hack and slash games over and over again with half decent stories and new weapons/items.

I wouldn't mind a new traditional RPG Phantasy Star, but we know that will never happen.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Celeith » Sat May 22, '10, 4:00 am

Atlinsmere wrote:Pretty much yeah, honestly, I'm getting sick of online Phantasy Star games, they're usually just the same hack and slash games over and over again with half decent stories and new weapons/items.

I wouldn't mind a new traditional RPG Phantasy Star, but we know that will never happen.

I wish they'd go back to their roots.. Phantasy Star going online had to be the worse idea ever made by Sega.. If only they had ruined Sonic instead of Phantasy Star.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Thoul » Sat May 22, '10, 4:47 am

I think Phantasy Star going online was actually a pretty good idea... they just strayed too far from the spirit of it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oakley2284 » Sat May 22, '10, 1:55 pm

Its like they don't really care about the phantasy star original series (I to IV). Thats what I think and this is quite dull.
Oakley AW2284, on planet Motavia
Oakley2284
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 105

Postby XXXG-00W0 WING-0 » Sat May 22, '10, 3:55 pm

I don't get it. Why insulted? Because they referred to PSO as "classic"? In all honesty, PSO is quite old already, and thought about by the people who played it and enjoyed it as a classic.

If you didn't like the online thing and wanted more of the command based old school PS, well, too bad. They wrapped the series with 4. Either replay the classics or enjoy other turn based games like Star Ocean.

Phantasy Star Universe doesn't have the best stories, I will not argue that, as I agree. But the games themselves can be quite fun, especially with friends. I know I enjoyed my short time with Universe's online. The old Phantasy Star is not going anywere. We have it with us. Online is by now regarded as a classic by some. Why not? Because it strayed? It did not stray. It was designed that way. Universe is a new story with revamped controls and options. Why not enjoy it? Of course, if you don't, then you don't. Nobody's forcing anyone to buy and play PSp2. That's my one cent. I'm short on cash. =P
"I'm not an adult... I'M A MAN!!!" Major Ozma Lee--Macross Frontier

You know what not to do because Ceiling Cat is watching you...
XXXG-00W0 WING-0
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 17

Postby Celeith » Sat May 22, '10, 7:06 pm

XXXG-00W0 WING-0 wrote:If you didn't like the online thing and wanted more of the command based old school PS, well, too bad. They wrapped the series with 4. Either replay the classics or enjoy other turn based games like Star Ocean.

Only problem with this here is Star Ocean isn't turn based. Its free based so its completely different then the Phantasy Star/Final Fantasy Genre
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby XXXG-00W0 WING-0 » Sun May 23, '10, 4:09 am

It was just an example (and wrongly applied, I must admit. I mistook it for another game). You can play whatever suits you, but feeling "insulted" by recent Phantasy Stars because they're different is kind of wrong IMO.

Let's face it. The classic Phantasy Star series is complete, wrapped and archived for whoever wants to experience it. Yet, those of us who enjoyed it in our youth (crap, I feel old now), are in many cases done with videogames, with less time than in the old times (my case), or just don't care about the old games.

That format Sega uses for Universe has proven to sell like hotcakes in Japan. PSp1 sold excellently when it arrived on the PSP. Isn't it obvious they would consider that a success and keep it?

PSp2 is not a quality game. It's a high quality game in regards to the depth of the gameplay for many reasons like balancing, new moves, a new class, AI, weapons and the enormous customization options. That, and adding the multiplayer into the already substantial mix, the amount of fun that can be had is enormous. I can vouch for that, as I have the Japanese version. Keep in mind I didn't mention the real online mode the game has (at least in the Japanese version).

Let's accept it. Games like this sell well in Japan. A release outside is just an extra for Sega. Youths, the core market for THIS game like it the way it is. We're getting old as well. It's the sign of the times, instead of grumbling over how different it is to the old PS series we grew up with, we should see it standing on its own merits, which are not just a few.
"I'm not an adult... I'M A MAN!!!" Major Ozma Lee--Macross Frontier

You know what not to do because Ceiling Cat is watching you...
XXXG-00W0 WING-0
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 17

Next

Return to Phantasy Star General