Which PS has the worst box art?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Re: Which PS has the worst box art?

Postby Aeroprism » Tue Dec 9, '14, 6:54 pm

Zio_Falz wrote:At least they never put Fabio on the box art of any games.

I googled that. Then I laughed, a lot. I used to have this game but until now I never made the connection.

Made my day, thanks dude!
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby R-90-2 » Tue Dec 9, '14, 9:02 pm

Zio_Falz wrote:
At least they never put Fabio on the box art of any games.

Well, they did the next best thing by hiring Boris Vallejo to do the American boxart of PS4 for reasons that remain mysterious to me.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Zio_Falz » Wed Dec 10, '14, 12:00 am

R-90-2 wrote:Well, they did the next best thing by hiring Boris Vallejo to do the American boxart of PS4 for reasons that remain mysterious to me.

I have no idea how that guy became popular for his as novel covers, and no idea why Sega's "brilliant" localization team thought PS fans would appeal to his box art. They must have seen the overwhelming use of his art on books and thought that by default, the younger videogame crowd of the 90's would find this "cool."
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Postby Dragonmaster Lou » Wed Dec 10, '14, 1:48 am

Zio_Falz wrote:
R-90-2 wrote:Well, they did the next best thing by hiring Boris Vallejo to do the American boxart of PS4 for reasons that remain mysterious to me.

I have no idea how that guy became popular for his as novel covers, and no idea why Sega's "brilliant" localization team thought PS fans would appeal to his box art. They must have seen the overwhelming use of his art on books and thought that by default, the younger videogame crowd of the 90's would find this "cool."

Sega wasn't the only company who thought that. Ballistic (AKA Accolade) also used Vallejo art for their early Genesis games like Turrican and Star Control.
Dragonmaster Lou
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 15

Postby Bragatyr » Wed Dec 10, '14, 4:43 am

I actually like PS III's box art, too. It's interesting and makes you want to play the game. But hey, what's wrong with Boris Vallejo? Sure, he only paints naked people, but he's very good at doing so!

I get that the whole hyper-realistic thing is out of sync with the in-game artwork, but that's never bothered me. It's kind of like how people say the Breath of Fire II cover art is the worst thing ever because it's in a stereotypical comic book style instead of a stereotypical anime style. As far as I'm concerned it's okay to mix and match art styles. Anime and manga might have a choke-hold on most of gaming, but that doesn't mean other art styles have no place in the genre.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Zio_Falz » Wed Dec 10, '14, 5:01 am

If its good art, I dont care where its made or what style it is. Good is good.
Sure we all have different tastes on what is considered good versus bad or kitsch.
But even on novels, I can't say I enjoy Vallejo's style. Its almost embarrassing.
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Postby Snorb » Wed Dec 10, '14, 6:22 am

I like the PSIV Boris Vallejo box art. ;_;

Fun fact: He also did box art for Ecco the Dolphin, Ecco: The Tides of Time, and Star Control on the Sega Genesis, as well as box art for Dragon Wars, Shannara, Eric the Unready, and a couple others!
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Tanith » Wed Dec 10, '14, 6:50 am

Bragatyr wrote:I get that the whole hyper-realistic thing is out of sync with the in-game artwork, but that's never bothered me.
It doesn't bother me when it's faithful to the source material. I like hyper-realism sometimes, like the back of the Japanese PSIII box, has an incredible picture of Mieu and Wren (the same as in my current signature). I don't like the abstract background, but the artwork of Mieu and Wren is fantastic!

I think the Boris Vallejo box art is technically superior to the Japanese box art, despite all the artistic license (like, why do Chaz and Rika look like they're at least 40?).
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby myau56 » Sun Feb 26, '17, 8:08 pm

For me the worst ones are US and European version of PSII ! Not really a great art in my opinion but not that bad ! And about PS3 box art, which is the same again in both US and european versions, for me it's a great one too !
But the art for the japanese version in both of them (PS II and III) are far more better ! :)
Last edited by myau56 on Sun Feb 26, '17, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Previous

Return to Classic Series