When were you introduced to Phantasy Star?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

When were you introduced to Phantasy Star?

Postby Thoul » Sun Sep 2, '07, 8:55 pm

Many of us have already mentioned which PS game we first played, but here's a different question: when did you get into the series? Did you play any of the games when they were first released on Sega's systems, or were ports like the Smash Pack or GBA collection your first Phantasy experience?

For me it was in the Genesis era. I played PSIII and IV in the first few years following their release, via rentals.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Sep 3, '07, 12:38 am

My brother saw PSII previewed in Electronic Gaming Monthly and we were both hooked from what we saw. I kept calling Toys 'R Us at age 9 to see if it had been released yet :lol: . I think the release was very near my birthday and I got it as a present. The next one I played was III, then I found a used copy of PSI at a rental store and snatched it up, since I grew up with my SMS! That's been a long time, but the games have stood the test of time for me!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Shinuzzo » Mon Sep 3, '07, 2:05 am

I remember seeing an old issue of GamePro having a guide of how to beat Dark Force in Phantasy Star III and a description of the endngs. I never played any of the original series on the Master System or Sega Genesis though.
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 25

Postby Divine Dragon » Mon Sep 3, '07, 2:23 am

For me it was PSIV, on my old Mega Drive. Ah, such sweet memories.
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby Atolm » Wed Sep 5, '07, 10:42 pm

I saw ps2 at a rental store once and rented it, and having no instructions on how to play it, spent a good portion of the day trying to figure out this thing known as a RPG. PS2 was my first honest to goodness RPG, and even though it was hard, I had much fun with it!
I was maybe 11-12 years old when I played it.
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Tsunami » Thu Sep 6, '07, 1:41 am

Let's see... I watched my older brother play it and thought it looked cool when I was younger -- I forget how old I was at the time. However, the first game I remember seeing him play was PSIII.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Re:

Postby Icecypher » Tue Sep 16, '14, 6:14 pm

Last year, thanks to the Sega Genesis Collection on my PSP. I started on PS II. Still have to beat it. I am naturally slow on finishing RPGs, and this one requires more attention and time dedicated to it in order to finish the dungeons without checking maps.

The $ Avenger wrote:I kept calling Toys 'R Us at age 9 to see if it had been released yet :lol: .

That was me at around 28 when I was waiting for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. Sadly, the game was bad when compared to the first MUA. :x
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 63

Re: When were you introduced to Phantasy Star?

Postby Snorb » Tue Sep 16, '14, 6:46 pm

Once upon a time, two of my cousins had Phantasy Star III, and would bring it and several other Genesis games to my grandmother's house when they visited. I would watch them, never playing PSIII. I doubt they owned II, mostly because the only reason I have a Genesis in the first place is because I got it and what games they didn't give away/sell. Incidentally, PSIII was not one of the games I got from them, but they did have Dynamite Duke and Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2, so I guess that makes up for it.

I didn't get Eric and Brian's copy of Starflight, either. Harumph. >=/

Anyway, the first time I actually played a Phantasy Star game was when one of my high school friends loaned PSIV to me. (This was my sophomore year, so... 2000 or so. I think. YOU try remembering in full a conversation you had fourteen years ago.) He even handwrote a sheet for me saying what some of the Techs/skills did, and had the ominous note "do not do the sandworm ranch quest at the Guild."

I did it anyway. Each attempt ended with Chaz and company's brutal deaths.

From there, I got emulators, played PSII (love it!) and PSI (love it too!)
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Sep 11, '15, 12:49 am

I became acquainted with the Phantasy Star games several years ago. I had never heard of them and a friend suggested I should try them. They said PS 4 would be the easiest and best game to start with so I tried it. It was fun!
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby jessie » Fri Sep 11, '15, 2:49 am

I saw the commercial for it when we (my twin brother and I) were watching TV. We were in the middle of Miracle Warriors and loving it! When the game showed up at Kay Bee toys, we were ready to buy! We were not used to the idea of grinding and soon got a bit bored with it. We finished Miracle Warriors and the we really hit PS hard. It was a great adventure we had. I would play a bit and I would save the game. My brother would play from my game and then save it. We watched each other play and as the story unfolded we knew this game was special. To this day we still play from time to time on various devices. We followed up with Part II, III and of course IV. I was the only one who got into the online version on the Dreamcast. The greatest game I ever played.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
ImageImage
ImageImage
jessie
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 39

Next

Return to Classic Series