What would you do if...

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Postby Srijita » Wed Aug 27, '08, 1:03 pm

[face=Times New Roman]
Silver_Surfer1 wrote:Reminds me of a debate with a fellow poster not too long ago on this site having to do with a similar subject. :)

So concerned was I that I might have inadvertently offended you, I did a quick search of the site for the relevant discussions. It was enlightening, to say the least. That’s what comes of being a newcomer and short-stayer; one risks rehashing old ground. :wink:

While you and I are clearly on opposite sides of the table with this issue, I should underscore that I did not intend to apply the “bloodthirsty” epithet to you. My concern was not with support for the death penalty per se, so much as the cavalier attitude some people demonstrate towards miscarriages of justice, particularly where loss of life is involved.

In short, I hope my remarks did not cause any offence, and I apologise if they did. :)

Kaloes wrote:So if you guys will keep on conversing among one another on these things and by the end of the week things will be clarified

We wait with bated breath… :)
[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Aug 27, '08, 9:25 pm

Srijita wrote:In short, I hope my remarks did not cause any offence, and I apologise if they did. :)

No offense taken at all, and no need to apologize for anything! On the contrary, Thank you for the healthy and stimulating debate. I enjoyed it. :)

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Celeith » Fri Aug 29, '08, 9:31 pm

Ok this weeks What would you do has finally ended and will return on Sunday. Now before I begin I only have one thing to say. Congrats to everyone who chose to refuse the old mans proposal, you have all been granted the power to save the world. Now let me begin to clarify everything.

~First off let me explain the situation of the old man. Some of you may of been thinking is he asking a question as to others is he offering a proposal to you. In fact he is actually offering you a proposal, knowing that it is a major decision against your own heart he's offering to you to either give up your humanity and slay your friend, or to find another way.~

~Many people are often put in these situations so I believe that if we actually debate on them instead of acting it makes you more of a human. We are each given countless choices in life, do we chose life or death, love or betrayal, all these things we must face one day in our lives, so its better to put them in perspective~

~What we chose in life, is it determined by fate? is it destiny? or is it our own free will? That is the blessing of being human, as well as our curse. We are blessed that we have free will to make decisions for ourselves, but at the same time we are cursed for those decisions. For when you chose one outcome the posibility of the other fades away, for no matter how much we try to escape it, we cannot escape the fact that we all have to bear that curse. And that makes us human~
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Aug 30, '08, 3:45 am

Very interesting, and nicely said, Kaloes! :clap:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Srijita » Sat Aug 30, '08, 4:41 pm

Kaloes wrote:Now before I begin I only have one thing to say. Congrats to everyone who chose to refuse the old mans proposal, you have all been granted the power to save the world. Now let me begin to clarify everything.

[face=Times New Roman]Well, Thoul caught on to the “test” aspect almost immediately. In fact, I think I’m the only one who didn’t… :oops:...although our answers were ultimately similar.

~Many people are often put in these situations so I believe that if we actually debate on them instead of acting it makes you more of a human. We are each given countless choices in life, do we chose life or death, love or betrayal, all these things we must face one day in our lives, so its better to put them in perspective~

Well put. Fantasy at its best allows examination of moral issues on an epic scale, but the intent of allegory is always to encourage re-examination of the problems and choices common to everyday life. We deal with moral dilemmas all the time, just on a superficially smaller scale. Moral perception also influences our views on social and political issues – hence all the debate :wink:

Here in the UK, an epidemic of knife crime in the capital has led public figures to lament the lack of role models for young people. Fantasy role play games are not socially acceptable in many circles here, but paradoxically, one could make a strong case for fantasy heroes (like the PS Protectors) as role models, with whom players can identify and empathise. The trick is to be able to translate the moral challenges of the fantasy realm into their commonplace equivalents.

What would you do has finally ended and will return on Sunday.

Look forward to it :)

[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Celeith » Mon Sep 1, '08, 4:15 pm

Ok heres this weeks what would you do.

You live in a quiet little farm town, tending to the horses are your chore. Everyday while you are tending to the horses a young child has always come by to watch you in excitement. One day you are finishing your chores and the person you are doing chores comes to you and pays you for your work. You head back to your home and you overhear some people talking in the dining room. Quietly listening from outside the door you learn that the child that would come to visit you everyday has disappeared, heading towards a dangerous area on the outskirts of town searching for a medicine. You continue listening and finally the group of people begin leaving the room. You learned that the townspeople cannot risk heading into the dangerous area in search of the child, which angers you. You begin walking upstairs when the man who has taken you into his home calls you. He begins telling you that he knew you overheard them talking and tells you to forget about even thinking of going after the child. There are dangerous traps and vicious monsters deep inside where the child ran off to, and he explains all this to you. Do you..

A) Listen to the man, for the town has taken you in and you must agree with their ways
B) Grab your weapon and sneak out to save the child, all the while you may risk banishment from the town.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Srijita » Mon Sep 1, '08, 5:04 pm

Kaloes wrote:Do you..

A) Listen to the man, for the town has taken you in and you must agree with their ways
B) Grab your weapon and sneak out to save the child, all the while you may risk banishment from the town.

[face=Times New Roman]All right; I’ll go for B.

I’m fascinated by one aspect of this scenario. The child did not aimlessly wander off; he purposely ventured into a dangerous area in order to find some medicine. In all likelihood, this medicine will help another person, but even if he needs it for himself, it is still an admirable and courageous act. So we are presented with a situation in which a child is willing to risk his life for a noble cause, while a group of grown men sit around twiddling their thumbs. Sheesh.

I’m not that keen on dangerous traps and vicious monsters, but there’s no way I could leave a child to negotiate those hazards alone. (Maternal instincts kick in.) Incurring the wrath of the townsfolk is a non-issue as far as I’m concerned. Given the kind of people they have just shown themselves to be, I’d be better off moving to another region anyhow.

[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Sep 1, '08, 8:41 pm

Kaloes wrote:There are dangerous traps and vicious monsters deep inside where the child ran off to, and he explains all this to you. Do you..

Well, it sounds to me like there are dangerous traps and vicious monsters inside the town also, especially if they don't even have enough care and compassion about them to rescue or aid a little child in distress who is seeking a medicine he may be in need of. Who cares what the town thinks anyway. :neenerneener:

I say " B ".

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Mon Sep 1, '08, 11:57 pm

Go to agree with the other answers so far - B it is. It sounds kind of risky, but it is worth doing. These townspeople are simply cowards to allow a child to go into such a place unassisted. I would already be planning to leave the town, too. If they won't help a child find medicine, then they aren't likely to do squat to help me if I ever need it in the future.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Thu Sep 4, '08, 5:30 am

A) I'm a freakin horse boy, what am I gonna do to save a child from the perils of the forest if an entire town doesn't want to save him?
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation