What would you do if...

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Postby Thoul » Thu Aug 21, '08, 3:18 am

Well, I'd hope the legal system is a little better than that. I'd probably go with B - this warden doesn't sound like someone that can be trusted.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Srijita » Fri Aug 22, '08, 9:06 pm

[face=Times New Roman]

Unfortunately, I suspect the justice system is as inherently imperfect as human nature. Several well-publicised miscarriages of justice have highlighted its fallibility in the UK, and I don't suppose the US is any different. More worrying still is the thought that the cases we hear about are merely the tip of the iceberg.

You don't pose easy questions, do you, Kaloes? *sigh* :wink:

May I ask for some additional information first? What are the prospects of parole for good behaviour? Did the original sentence carry a mandatory term? Any possibility of appealing the verdict (or has it already been turned down)?

On the basis of currently available information, I'd agree with Thoul; the warden does sound like a slippery character. I might just have to start digging a tunnel from my cell, covering my progress every night with a nice pin-up (Shawshank Redemption, anyone?)

[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Celeith » Fri Aug 22, '08, 9:49 pm

I'll try to make them a bit easier for everyone for now on, I just enjoy doing these to see what everyones reactions would be if they were placed in these situations. Next weeks question will be a bit easier to comprehende
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Srijita » Fri Aug 22, '08, 9:52 pm

Kaloes wrote:I'll try to make them a bit easier for everyone for now on, I just enjoy doing these to see what everyones reactions would be if they were placed in these situations. Next weeks question will be a bit easier to comprehende

[face=Times New Roman]
Heavens, I was only kidding :wink:

Make them as tough as you like; it's more fun that way.

I just prefer to make informed decisions (preceded by proper risk assessment)! :)
[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Celeith » Fri Aug 22, '08, 9:58 pm

I see, well I was planning on cutting down on the difficulty of the questions anyways since I have to come up with these things and making em hard seems to rack my brain and then I'm not gonna be able to meet the deadline. I'll be sure to put more detail into them for now on, as I went back and edited some of the last one, only explaining that theres little to no chance for parol but you pretty much get the picture.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Postby Srijita » Fri Aug 22, '08, 10:26 pm

Kaloes wrote: theres little to no chance for parol but you pretty much get the picture.

[face=Times New Roman]

Well, you're twisting my arm here. It does sound like a trap, but if there's a lengthy mandatory sentence, and virtually no chance of parole, I suppose I might have to chance it. I probably wouldn't do it alone, but friendship means a great deal. With all of us looking out for each other, we could take on a few monsters. Better to go down fighting, right?

Incidentally, are you going to answer your own poser? :)
[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Celeith » Fri Aug 22, '08, 11:15 pm

I'd probably chance it and try to take on the monsters ^^|' that way if i got out I could end up finding the real murderer, but knowing my luck there would be something huge at the end like something similar to a boss *damn you rpg mechanics in real life* and I would get killed, but hey, if I'm goin down I'm goin down swinging.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Aug 24, '08, 1:47 am

Kaloes wrote:Ok its been awhile since one I did one of these things so I guess its about time to get back into it. Ok heres this weeks what would you do if.

One day you had a fight with your boyfriend/girlfriend and you stormed out. The next day you came over to apologize because in fact you two are engaged and you love him/her very much. On your way you think of all the things you can say. You arrive at his/her house and notice all the lights are off, the door was cracked open as well as the only light in the house is on the tv. You walk in, noticing something is wrong you run through the house yelling for your boyfriend/girlfriend.

Okay, here is the first step where most people make their mistakes in these types of situation.s First of all, and foremost, I WOULD NOT GO IN, especially if I arrived to find the place like this. Logic tells you right away that something is amiss - so why put yourself at risk. Just go somewhere and call Law enforcement to come help or some other help agency. If something is wrong, they can help and you will still be safe and protected. This is what always creeps me out about so many movies, other situations is that people see plainly that something is wrong, but they tread straight ahead anyway - dumb move, if you ask me, and most of the time they pay for it later somehow.

Okay, now back to the rest of the question:

Kaloes wrote:You arrive in the kitchen to notice a man who looks like he's wearing a mask with a Joker's face on it from a deck of cards jump from your boyfriend/girlfriend and escapes. Events play out and eventually you are arrested and tried as the murderer of your boyfriend/girlfriend. You are thrown in jail on false charges with little to no chance for parol and you believe you are left there to rot for the rest of your life.

Sorry to interrupt again, but I just have to ask about this " Joker " dude. Okay, did he leave no DNA on the scene or other clues. How was the girlfriend/boyfriend murdered - strangulation, gunshot, some other way - were there possible clues. What about your Lawyer, a good lawyer should be able to establish a bit of doubt in a jury's mind of another possible suspect. Just wondering. Okay, back to the question again.

Kaloes wrote:One day the warden of the jail proposes a offer to all the inmates. All the cells will be unlocked for one night, if you can find the Rune hidden deep inside the prison you will be granted a pardon. You are not allowed to harm the guards patrolling the area's. If you are caught you will be thrown and locked in your cell and you lose all hope of freedom. The lower dungeon as one may call it of the prison is filled with monsters. You, as well as two other inmates who you befriended are going to try and escape. Do you...

A) Go with them knowing its dangerous and you may be killed by monsters.
B) Hope that you are let out on good behavior so you do not face monsters and can live your life normally.

Okay, this warden sounds like a virtual creep also. Can he make this offer honorably, and with absolute proof of a pardon, freedom, etc.? Or, is this just some kind of playful diddy with you as the pawn? I suppose realistically, I would probably try for the freedom, no matter what type monsters I might have to face. It's only human nature to try and find freedom. However, my gut instinct tells me to stay put and just wait it out. How ever long it takes, being alive in a cell is better than being killed by monsters or being caught and thrown back in the cell again with no chance for parole ever.

Very interesting question, Kaloes! Keep 'em coming! :)

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Srijita » Sun Aug 24, '08, 4:38 pm

[face=Times New Roman]
Silver_Surfer1 wrote:
Okay, here is the first step where most people make their mistakes in these types of situation.s First of all, and foremost, I WOULD NOT GO IN, especially if I arrived to find the place like this. Logic tells you right away that something is amiss - so why put yourself at risk. Just go somewhere and call Law enforcement to come help or some other help agency.

These are all excellent points, Silver_Surfer1, akin to what the authorities – or lawyers – might advise under the circumstances. However, this type of advice disregards the dual impact of the adrenaline rush, which transiently hinders cognitive reasoning, and the natural emotional reaction that most people would experience under the circumstances.

On arrival at the site, there are signs of forced entry. A loved one is quite possibly still inside and in danger. Self-preservation might not be foremost in people’s minds at this stage. For all we know, we might be able to prevent a tragedy by going in there ourselves, rather than waiting for law enforcement to arrive. In some cases, those few minutes can make a difference to whether someone lives or dies.

Besides, what are we going to tell law enforcement over the phone, at this point? “Someone’s broken into my partner’s house.” Without evidence of physical harm to anyone, the police may not prioritise our call. In the interim, a loved one might be injured or scared and in need of urgent help.

This is what always creeps me out about so many movies, other situations is that people see plainly that something is wrong, but they tread straight ahead anyway - dumb move, if you ask me, and most of the time they pay for it later somehow.

Yes, hindsight is always twenty-twenty. But I’d be less quick to judge people for their responses in an adrenaline-charged, emotionally fuelled situation. Furthermore, no matter how streetwise, savvy, and circumspect one is, it’s still possible to find oneself falsely accused and suddenly on the wrong side of the law. Blaming the victims for their stupid, irrational behaviour helps to reinforce the notion that it couldn’t happen to any of us. But it could.

Glad this is a fantasy scenario :wink:

I suppose realistically, I would probably try for the freedom, no matter what type monsters I might have to face. It's only human nature to try and find freedom.

Exactly! In the same vein, it's only human nature to rush in through the cracked door to try to find your loved one, and for a jury to convict someone based entirely on circumstantial evidence.

Very interesting question, Kaloes! Keep 'em coming! :)

Indeed. Evidently they can lead to some debate :) [/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Thoul » Sun Aug 24, '08, 9:34 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:Sorry to interrupt again, but I just have to ask about this " Joker " dude. Okay, did he leave no DNA on the scene or other clues. How was the girlfriend/boyfriend murdered - strangulation, gunshot, some other way - were there possible clues. What about your Lawyer, a good lawyer should be able to establish a bit of doubt in a jury's mind of another possible suspect. Just wondering. Okay, back to the question again.

That's what I was thinking too, though you put it much better. That's definitely something a lawyer would explore.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation