What would it take to get you to play PSU?

Share experiences from the entire series, including PS Online, Universe, and Zero.

Postby BroWren » Sun Dec 30, '07, 2:11 pm

Thoul wrote:Hey, it's been way too long. Nice to "see" you again! :D

Indeed! As it is I was seeing if there was a TTF font anywhere with the PSU-style characters, and I found the old PSO font on your downloads page, said "hey! This is PD's site!" and checked out the board. :)

Thoul wrote:There's not much point to playing a multiplayer game by yourself. :yes: So you can bring along some NPCs to fight with you in Illuminus? I'm surprised it took them so many incarnations of the online games to introduce that.

The thing that's weird about Illuminus is that it's actiually got a one-player-only online mode and an offline mode to it (at least on the PS2/PC version - the 360 is 1P online-only) so technically it's not meant to be multiplayer.

I don't think they really thought it would be necessary to have NPC AI characters for normal online mode, what with all the PSU players (riiiight :roll:) but really the only place it's been successful online was the 360. so it was probably done so the PS2/PC players could actuallly get somewhere. ;)
BroWren
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Sun Dec 30, '07, 3:32 pm

BroWren wrote:Indeed! As it is I was seeing if there was a TTF font anywhere with the PSU-style characters, and I found the old PSO font on your downloads page, said "hey! This is PD's site!" and checked out the board. :)

I'm glad you dropped in and I hope you keep coming by. :)

If you're still looking for the PSU font, grab the fansite kit from the official site here:
http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com/dow ... itekit.php
There's an annoying license agreement in front of it, but the kit has three different TTFs. You're probably looking for the Parum one.

BroWren wrote:The thing that's weird about Illuminus is that it's actiually got a one-player-only online mode and an offline mode to it (at least on the PS2/PC version - the 360 is 1P online-only) so technically it's not meant to be multiplayer.

How strange. If it's going to be one player, why have it as an online game at all? It sounds like a loopy bit of game design.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby BroWren » Mon Dec 31, '07, 8:06 pm

HEY, awesome! That's exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

Yeah, I should be around occasionally, most likely to gab about PSU. Pretty much everyone in the old #CC crew turned their noses up at it so I know basically nobody on there. :P

Which is a shame, it's actually a pretty good game once ya get past the whole blasted "HEY this isn't PS-V like you said in the ads" thing. >_<
BroWren
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Mon Dec 31, '07, 10:42 pm

Glad I could help. :) I stumbled across that kit a few months ago and hoped it would have something good in it, but the fonts are about the only thing worthwhile.

I didn't pay much attention to ads for PSU, so I didn't know it was being promoted at a PS V. I can see why some people would be upset if they were expecting that, but I think it is an easy game to enjoy if approached with an open mind.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby newsblade » Thu Jan 10, '08, 1:09 pm

Chris8282 wrote:The names of the planets are:

Parum
Mortoob
Neudaiz

They choose those names for PSU planets? Interesting...

PSu(scramb).Unscrambled...Arranged...PSiv

Parum..........Parmu...............Parma.......Palma
Mortoob.......Motoblo............Motabia.....Motavia
Neudaiz........Dezudian..........Dezolian....Dezolis

Edit: [17-jan-2007]
Moatoob.......Motaboo............Motabia.....Motavia [ok, now it's correct - we have "motaboo" instead of that "spanish" motoblo]
Last edited by newsblade on Thu Jan 17, '08, 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby SparkyIII » Thu Jan 10, '08, 10:39 pm

Motoblo? Reminds me of spanish class, Trabajabamos. XD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby newsblade » Fri Jan 11, '08, 1:13 am

Planets/solar systems' names are very unimaginative in PSU/PSO

In PSO poeple came from CORAL and went to RAGOL
In latin the letter "G" is a variant of "C". So making those changes we update the word CORAL into GORAL... and if you put into the right order we have the word RAGOL

If we believe CORAL citizens came first from ALGOL solar system and if we know that, in Japan, "r" and "l" are pronounced in same way, we have:
ALGOL > ALCOL (latin change) > ALCOR (japanese change) > COR AL

And of course we also have: RAGOL > ALGOR > ALGOL (japanese change)

PSU introduces us to Gurhal... ok let me try: GUR_HAL > ALGUR ("h" doesn’t have a sound, so I dropped) > ALGUL (japanese change) ... hmmm almost!
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Thoul » Sun Jan 13, '08, 10:47 pm

If you add the H back in, you'll have ALGHUL. Algol is the name of a real life star. The name is derived from the Arabic "al-ghūl." So, Algol is Algul/Alghul, and from there Gurhal.

I never noticed all these name connections. The PSU planets were easy to spot, but I never thought about Gurhal or Ragol before. Nice find!
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby newsblade » Mon Jan 14, '08, 11:32 am

If you add the H back in, you'll have ALGHUL. Algol is the name of a real life star. The name is derived from the Arabic "al-ghūl." So, Algol is Algul/Alghul, and from there Gurhal.
Amazing! That I didn't knew...

Now I can consider it a find.
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Celeith » Thu Jan 17, '08, 12:38 am

maybe one day they'll bring us back to algol
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

PreviousNext

Return to Phantasy Star General