What's your favorite series, outside of PS?

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

What's your favorite series, outside of PS?

Postby Neithird » Sun Mar 25, '07, 2:38 am

Excluding Phantasy Star, what's everyone's favorite series of video games? Mine is Dragon Quest. I just finished Dragon Quest 8 again recently. I really like that game, I think the makers struck the perfect balance between new 3D techniques and the classic 2D Dragon Quest feel.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Re: What's your favorite series, outside of PS?

Postby Thoul » Mon Mar 26, '07, 12:35 am

For me, it has to be Legend of Zelda. It's the one series where I've gone out of my way to try to get even some of the more obscure games. I used to try to collect all kinds of merchandise based on Zelda, too, but I don't do much of that any more.

I never really liked Dragon Quest all that much. I mean, it was fun, but not something I would want to play again. There was too much repetitive level grinding, which is something I don't enjoy. I'm mainly speaking of the NES games, though. I didn't play DQ V - VII, or any of the spin offs, so I can't speak of them. DQVIII was pretty good, though at the end it started falling into the grinding trap.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Neithird » Mon Mar 26, '07, 4:13 am

There was a lot of leveling against the same monsters and constantly fighting the same battles in early games, but it's not so bad now. In games like Dragon Quest, I usually try to gain a few extra levels early on. That eliminates the need for grinding in most games. :)
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Postby Thoul » Mon Mar 26, '07, 12:59 pm

Hm, I may have to try that myself, the next time I play a game like that. There are a few games, like Final Fantasy VII, that I never finished because I got to a point where I needed to spend hours leveling to proceed... that's not my idea of fun.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Mar 28, '07, 3:57 am

It may be a bit outdated, but my favorite series of games was the Mario ones with Mario I, II, 3, and Super Mario World. It's been awhile since I played any of them but they were fun. :D
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Neithird » Wed Mar 28, '07, 2:24 pm

You can never go wrong with classics like Mario. Those are never outdated! Did you know Mario's been in around 30 games? :o It's amazing! He's got to be the most popular game person ever.
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Postby Thoul » Wed Mar 28, '07, 4:40 pm

Yep, Mario is great. They've remade Mario I, II, and III several times with new graphics or on new systems. I think the last one was on GameBoy Advance.

Although, they might be available on the new Wii console, too. Nintendo put a lot of games out that can be downloaded to that over the internet. I don't know much of the specifics, but I'm sure the Mario games are on it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Zafneir » Thu Mar 29, '07, 5:24 am

Suikoden, hands down. The second one is a toss up between 4 and 5, with leanings toward 5.
Zafneir
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 12

Postby Thoul » Thu Mar 29, '07, 6:22 am

I always wanted to play Suikoden, but I missed out on most of that series. One of my old friends was into it back in the day and made it sound interesting. Is 5 the latest one?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Zafneir » Thu Mar 29, '07, 6:36 am

Yup, 5 came out last year. It's pretty good, and it's a precursor of a sort to 2. I'd definately recommend renting 5 if you ever get the chance.
Drum Solo of Life!
Zafneir
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 12

Next

Return to General Gaming