Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, '08, 10:02 am 
What is the oldest piece of music you enjoying listening to?

The oldest piece that I like, and whose age I'm aware of, is the William Tell Overture from 1829. I blame that on the Lone Ranger TV series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, '08, 4:30 pm 
I like a lot of the Romantic era music, especially Tchaikovsky, and especially his 1812 Overture. Hard to object to the use of cannons in music. The name is misleading though, as it didn't debut until 1882 so he probably wrote it in the late 1870s and early 1880s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, '08, 1:04 am 
Beethoven is one of my favorites although I don't recall any of the names, lol. For more recent "older" music I thoroughly enjoy CCR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, '08, 8:13 pm 
I enjoy almost all music. Some of the older ones mentioned above included, such as the William Tell Overture and the Beethoven stuff, etc. How old is the Star Spangled Banner anyway - anyone know offhand? Some music is timeless no matter how old it is - it is still beautiful and relevant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, '08, 9:38 pm 
Silver_Surfer1 wrote:How old is the Star Spangled Banner anyway - anyone know offhand?

The words are older than the song itself, but the song itself was written around the time of the Civil War, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 4, '09, 9:05 pm 
gregorian chant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 5, '09, 7:38 pm 
Scraping really old stuff like baroque (Pachelbel's cannon, Handel's saraband, etc.) and the classical period (Mozart's requiem, beethoven's Pathétique or Quasi una fantasia's 3rd movement, etc.) I would say that the oldest music I like is "Sogne d'un nuit du sabbat" (1830) from Hector Berlioz.

However the majority of my favourite pieces come from Tchaikovsky, namely Violin Concert (op.35, 1878).
Edit: I forgot "Intermezzo Sinfonico (Cav. Rusticana) / Mascagni" that came 15 years before this one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, '09, 2:08 pm 
um I guess the oldest peice that I really adore is The Devil's trill which was done by Giuseppe Tartini. I can thank the yaoi/shounen-ai anime and manga Yami No Matsuei or in english Descendants of Darkness. In an early episode, a boy is given the eye of a violin musician who had a deal with the devil. The devil comes out and tries to possess the boy so he can collect on the debt which, happens to be the life of the musicians daughter who seems to be only five or six. The main characters Tsuzuki Asato and Hisoka Kurosaki (Who are dead spirits) are assigned to this up and coming violinist.
The devil ends up being summoned out of the boy, and goes into Tsuzuki Asato and possess's him instead. In the end, the little girl is killed but the demon is also slain.
The Devil's Trill was the song that was played in those episodes, and I fell in love with it right away.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, '09, 12:42 am 
I happen to be a big fan of Classical and Opera music, so I guess you could say that's the oldest stuff that I listen to. My taste in music is really quite varied though :)

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]