What's the oldest music you like?

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

What's the oldest music you like?

Postby Thoul » Sun Dec 21, '08, 10:02 am

What is the oldest piece of music you enjoying listening to?

The oldest piece that I like, and whose age I'm aware of, is the William Tell Overture from 1829. I blame that on the Lone Ranger TV series.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Dec 21, '08, 4:30 pm

I like a lot of the Romantic era music, especially Tchaikovsky, and especially his 1812 Overture. Hard to object to the use of cannons in music. The name is misleading though, as it didn't debut until 1882 so he probably wrote it in the late 1870s and early 1880s.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Darkil » Wed Dec 24, '08, 1:04 am

Beethoven is one of my favorites although I don't recall any of the names, lol. For more recent "older" music I thoroughly enjoy CCR
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Dec 29, '08, 8:13 pm

I enjoy almost all music. Some of the older ones mentioned above included, such as the William Tell Overture and the Beethoven stuff, etc. How old is the Star Spangled Banner anyway - anyone know offhand? Some music is timeless no matter how old it is - it is still beautiful and relevant.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Dec 29, '08, 9:38 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:How old is the Star Spangled Banner anyway - anyone know offhand?

The words are older than the song itself, but the song itself was written around the time of the Civil War, I think.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby luke » Sun Jan 4, '09, 9:05 pm

gregorian chant.
cooper, today you remind me of a small mexican chihuahua
luke
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 9

Postby newsblade » Mon Jan 5, '09, 7:38 pm

Scraping really old stuff like baroque (Pachelbel's cannon, Handel's saraband, etc.) and the classical period (Mozart's requiem, beethoven's Pathétique or Quasi una fantasia's 3rd movement, etc.) I would say that the oldest music I like is "Sogne d'un nuit du sabbat" (1830) from Hector Berlioz.

However the majority of my favourite pieces come from Tchaikovsky, namely Violin Concert (op.35, 1878).
Edit: I forgot "Intermezzo Sinfonico (Cav. Rusticana) / Mascagni" that came 15 years before this one.
ImageImage
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Re: What's the oldest music you like?

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Mon Jun 22, '09, 2:08 pm

um I guess the oldest peice that I really adore is The Devil's trill which was done by Giuseppe Tartini. I can thank the yaoi/shounen-ai anime and manga Yami No Matsuei or in english Descendants of Darkness. In an early episode, a boy is given the eye of a violin musician who had a deal with the devil. The devil comes out and tries to possess the boy so he can collect on the debt which, happens to be the life of the musicians daughter who seems to be only five or six. The main characters Tsuzuki Asato and Hisoka Kurosaki (Who are dead spirits) are assigned to this up and coming violinist.
The devil ends up being summoned out of the boy, and goes into Tsuzuki Asato and possess's him instead. In the end, the little girl is killed but the demon is also slain.
The Devil's Trill was the song that was played in those episodes, and I fell in love with it right away.
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Re: What's the oldest music you like?

Postby GhostVoices » Fri Jun 26, '09, 12:42 am

I happen to be a big fan of Classical and Opera music, so I guess you could say that's the oldest stuff that I listen to. My taste in music is really quite varied though :)
http://astralvoidrecords.blogspot.com For the best in Music,Games,Movies, Books, and more!
GhostVoices
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 8

Return to Tootin' Tunes