What's the best way to play?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

What's the best way to play?

Postby Thoul » Wed Nov 19, '08, 3:18 pm

These days, there are so many different ways to play the old Phantasy Star games. When you get one out to play, what is your preferred way of playing it? Do you go portable with the GBA or PSP collection? Virtual with the Wii? Maybe one of the other re-releases, like the PS2 collection? Or do you prefer going back to the original systems and games?

Personally I find myself using an emulator most of the time - it's more convenient for me and I need lots of screenshots for maps and other images for the site. I'd rather go back to the originals if I was just playing for enjoyment, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Nov 19, '08, 3:34 pm

For PSIV, easily my Sega and the original cartridge. For anything else...emulator. Though the others I may eventually get on the Virtual Console. On the other hand, I may never end up doing that, because I want Earthbound on the VC and I want it to be the first game I get on my VC. Darn it Nintendo! :x
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Re: What's the best way to play?

Postby hugues » Fri Nov 21, '08, 2:54 am

Thoul wrote: Personally I find myself using an emulator most of the time - it's more convenient for me and I need lots of screenshots for maps and other images for the site. I'd rather go back to the originals if I was just playing for enjoyment, though.

I'm in the same boat - I play on emulators a lot to create maps, save state/rom hacks, etc.. If I just want to play for fun I've taken a liking to the GBA collection. Yeah, the emulation isn't perfect (how is it someone developing emulators for free can out-program a company doing it for money?) but overall they translate well to the GBA.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Lucas » Fri Nov 21, '08, 11:28 am

I play on emulators sometimes mostly the games I don't own on dvd-rom or cartridge though. I played PSI on an emulator and PSII, III & IV on my sega megadrive collection for Playstation 2.

I like using emulators to because I can screenshot and save game anywhere which is pretty sweet and easy to get over encase your stuck in some places on the cartridge too.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby ThugsRook » Thu Mar 19, '09, 1:41 am

PC
Kega (Scale4X) :clap:
ThugsRook
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 15

Postby PSP » Sun Mar 29, '09, 4:46 pm

While I still own the original cartridges, the Saturn collection and the PS2 Sega Ages collection, my preferred method is emulation. Kega Fusion along with the HQX filters lined out to my HD television make for a great gaming experience.

-Corey
PSP
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 20

Postby LordShibas » Mon Mar 30, '09, 1:31 pm

The last time I played the PS games I played them using a Gens emulator.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Darkil » Mon Mar 30, '09, 7:12 pm

I usually play through emulation, although recently I started playing them on the Xbox360[which is emulated too lol]. Emulation is just much easier than dragging out the cords and such for the carts. I do find myself from time to time longing to dust off the ole Genesis but that would require me not using my PC or 360. Guess I'm lazy when it comes to that
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby ThugsRook » Mon Mar 30, '09, 7:39 pm

PSP wrote:...Kega Fusion along with the HQX filters...

lets face it, SMS/SMD/MCD never looked as good as it does on PC thru Kega with the 4x plugins :clap:

the Scale4X plugin is better for lower powered systems, but if youve got the CPU power (at least 1.7ghz)... HQ4X will give it that really smooth "OpenGL" look :yes:

HQ4X SMS screenshot (resized from 1440x960), check out the fonts...

:up:
ThugsRook
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 15

Postby PSP » Wed Apr 1, '09, 3:46 am

ThugsRook wrote:
PSP wrote:...Kega Fusion along with the HQX filters...

lets face it, SMS/SMD/MCD never looked as good as it does on PC thru Kega with the 4x plugins :clap:

the Scale4X plugin is better for lower powered systems, but if youve got the CPU power (at least 1.7ghz)... HQ4X will give it that really smooth "OpenGL" look :yes:

Agreed. I remember when I first stumbled onto the HQX filters many years ago ('03?). They immediately took me by surprise compared to the alternatives, and today I still use HQ4X extensively. I had hoped when Sega announced HD upscaling for their PS3/XBox360 collection that they would use a scaling method of similar quality, but I was sadly disappointed.

-Corey
PSP
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 20

Next

Return to Classic Series