PSO Server Shutdowns

Share experiences from the entire series, including PS Online, Universe, and Zero.

PSO Server Shutdowns

Postby Thoul » Wed Apr 4, '07, 10:09 pm

So, it seems like the last few official servers for PSOnline have been shut down now, except for those running Blue Burst. What do you think of this? Do you think it will be a long time before Blue Burst is closed also?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: PSO Server Shutdowns

Postby Neithird » Thu Apr 5, '07, 4:27 pm

It is to be expected. There were probably not many people playing them on a regular basis before the shut downs. Sega's not going to waste money running servers that only a few people are using. It's a shame that all the online quests and related content will be lost forever. It would be great if Sega released one more "final" version of PSO that contained every quest and feature ever added, even the decorations for the special events.

I'm not going to make any date predictions on Blue Burst, but it won't last forever. I have no idea how many people are still playing it. Sooner or later, they'll move on to something else and then the servers will be closed.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Sharline » Sat Apr 28, '07, 7:18 pm

Neithird wrote:It is to be expected. There were probably not many people playing them on a regular basis before the shut downs. Sega's not going to waste money running servers that only a few people are using. It's a shame that all the online quests and related content will be lost forever. It would be great if Sega released one more "final" version of PSO that contained every quest and feature ever added, even the decorations for the special events.

How about the fact that the SCHTHACK servers ae policed better than the official ones? Hackers there are taken out whenever possible, Sega just let them run rampant.
Sharline
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 1

Postby Rune Sa Riik » Sat Apr 28, '07, 10:30 pm

Geeez, I've never played on the official servers. I prefer SCHTHACK, so I don't worry about shutdowns of official servers. But I expected that it may happen whem PS Universe will be released because PSOBB and PSU now are more popular than PSO...
Please, excuse my terrible grammar! =)
Rune Sa Riik
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 2

Postby Neithird » Sun Apr 29, '07, 7:12 pm

I never looked into the SCHTHACK server much, but I hope it continues for a long time. With that stance against cheaters, it has to be a better environment than Sega's servers.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Tweeg » Sun Jun 7, '09, 8:11 pm

I was there when the servers were shut down. It was a very very sad occassion that none of us who were present will ever forget.

The JP servers went offline right on schedule, but the one remaing EU server stayed up for an addtional couple of days, was there when it went offline initially. A handful of players got to experience playing on the server again a day or so later when apparently someone at Sega of Europe turned the server back on for a few brief hours before it went offline again for the final time. Sadly, it wasn't up long enough for those few who had made the discovery to spread the word, but I was happy for them because in a way because they were players who were not able to be online for the original shut down. It allowed them to experience the same feelings of closure that those of us who were there for it originally got to experience. :cry:
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Jul 16, '10, 1:27 pm

SCHTHACK are the way to go for the best PSO online experience, they support BB too.

For non-BB PSO, a Gamecube will suffice.

As for when the servers closed, I was so sad, I comforted myself by buying a X360 :D
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Return to Phantasy Star General