What's the best kind of battle system?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

What's the best kind of battle system?

Postby Neithird » Sat Nov 3, '07, 4:04 am

Out of all the different RPGs, which ones have the best battle systems? Do you prefer classic turn based like Phantasy Star, real time stuff like Star Ocean, or each character getting their own turn as in Shining Force? I'm sure there are lots of other battle systems I can't think of at the moment, so if you like something else better, tell us about it! :)

Personally, I prefer the original turn based system seen in so many classic games.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby LordShibas » Sat Nov 3, '07, 4:15 am

I enjoy turn based more than action oriented combat in RPGs, but I have seen both done well, and enjoyed them both. However, I have encountered nothing that even comes close to being as awesome as the Grandia series' "Active turn based" system.

For those of you who have never played a Grandia game:

The action is constantly flowing, and there are only pauses for you to input your next command, which will send you character in motion and the battle will commence until it is another character's turn. This system is so fun to use, and you can cancel enemy attacks by using certain attacks, and combo almost any attack with another if timed properly.

I still have yet to play though Grandia Extreme and Grandia III, but Grandia 1 and 2 were phenominal, and the battle system is one of the best things about them.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Thoul » Sat Nov 3, '07, 7:45 pm

The only battle system I've come across that I really intensely disliked was in an old NES game. Pool of Radiance, I think it was. It was a cross between strategy and turn based, but was just poorly done all around.

I remember Grandia having a great battle system, but I barely remember the system itself. Wild ARMs 3 attempted to do something similar, but leaned toward a more traditional turn based variant.

For strategy games, I enjoyed the system in Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits. It was basically the same kind of thing as Shining Force or Fire Emblem, but used radial areas for movement and attacks, rather than squares. It felt more natural than the square system of those other games.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Sat Nov 3, '07, 8:02 pm

I can't say there is any best battle system, as there are many that work and are enjoyable. Star Ocean 2 definitely comes to mind for this, though.

As simple as it is, I've always like Dragon Warrior's turn-based system (for any of them). I loved the series as a kid, so that could be a reason why I like it, even if some don't. :lol:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Return to Tech and Design