Orakio and Laya... Together? Could it Happen?

Explore the Alisa III as it travels the stars.

Orakio and Laya... Together? Could it Happen?

Postby Tanith » Sun May 16, '10, 5:02 am

Some of you may be familiar with the fan translated PSIII Q&A written by Toyo Ozaki. Orakio and Rulakir "answer" frequently asked questions about PSIII. It's unofficial, but it's creative and funny. Plus, it's by Toyo Ozaki, so it's notable:

http://www.sceneryrecalled.com/trans/ps3faq.txt

Anyway, if you read the second-to-last Q&A titled "Jilted Marlena," Rulakir suggests that Orakio and Laya (older Laya) were at some point lovers and that Laya Younger is actually their child. What's more, Orakia doesn't deny it. Whoa. My first reaction was that it's just Ozaki having fun with all of us, after all, the article is definitely written with absurdity in mind. However, as bizarre as it is for Orakio and Laya to hook up, it is possible.

In the Japanese version, I believe, Laya Elder is the one who's corrupted by the Dark Force. Perhaps there was a time before her corruption that they all got along. She might have had Laya Younger at a very early age, say mid teens, and then was raised as her sister. Since they're all from "royal" families, perhaps it was a way to hide the shame of an out-of-wedlock pregnancy. Laya Elder could be in her early 30s and still be old enough to be the mother of Laya Younger by the time she confronts Dark Force and Laya Younger is put on ice.

Now, you might be thinking, "Why didn't Laya's Pendant also reveal that Laya was Laya's mother, if this is the case?" Well, maybe Laya Younger already knew she was really Laya's daughter, but her relationship with her has always been as sisters and that's what she still considers Laya Elder to be. Example: I have a cousin who was raised by his maternal grandparents, and eventually adopted by them. He called them Mom and Dad even when he knew that from a biological standpoint, they were his grandparents. I'm sure this is the case with most adopted children, even when they're adopted by other family members.

It could happen, I think. What say you?
Last edited by Tanith on Sun May 16, '10, 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Re: Orakio and Laya... Together? Could it Happen?

Postby Thoul » Sun May 16, '10, 5:32 am

Hm. I never considered that angle before, but it does certainly fit with odd royalty behaviors like we see in some other bits of the story.

This would also mean that Younger didn't know her father, though. She says in the game that she saw Elder leave with a knight with a black sword. That would be Orakio, but Younger didn't know who he was apparently.

It might also explain why no one in the game is said to be a descendant of Elder. There's big point made of Rhys being from Orakio's bloodline, but no mention of Elder's kids at all, unless this theory is correct.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tanith » Sun May 16, '10, 5:39 am

Thoul wrote:This would also mean that Younger didn't know her father, though.

I thought about that as well, but I feel that it also fits with odd royalty behavior. Maybe Laya Elder never revealed who the father was, or maybe the Sa Riik's payed Laya's family to keep things under wraps. Maybe they had plans to finally reveal the true nature of everyone's relationships, but then the Devastation War kept that from ever happening.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sun May 16, '10, 8:08 am

Tanith, the commentary you gave via that link is just classic... I was cracking up with a seriously raised eyebrow! :rofl:

As for Orakio and Laya... I definitely see it happening. Talk about a scandal! Laya the Younger says very little regarding Laya the Elder... only that she was very young when joining up with Orakio. When she listens to the Laya Pendant, it is slightly alluded that Orakio and Laya are quite close, mentioning that they have realized they had been deceived.

It's pretty cool to think that Adan and Gwen are the grandchildren of Orakio and Laya... what crazy genetics!... perhaps that would explain Gwen's unique powers?

This would be the topic of some great fanfiction...
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Tanith » Sun May 16, '10, 11:57 am

Rune_Walsh wrote:This would be the topic of some great fanfiction...

I know, I know! Gah! I was thinking the same thing and then kind of kicking myself for attempting to start yet another fanfic when I have about seven (no kidding) stories partially finished. But... gah. It's so tempting. I might have to shelve something... (Plus, Toyo Ozaki's Q&A with Rulakir and Orakio gave me an idea for a "Rulakir and Orakio Are Dead" play.)
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Thoul » Sun May 16, '10, 1:51 pm

One other interesting tidbit that just occurred to me is this would add a certain symmetry to the game's marriage choices that was lacking. Ayn, as we know, can marry his cousin Thea. If Laya Younger is Orakio's child, that would mean Nial can marry his great-aunt (several times removed, but still).

I guess Ayn is not the only one that likes to keep things in the family. :shiftyeyes:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tanith » Sun May 16, '10, 2:59 pm

Thoul wrote:One other interesting tidbit that just occurred to me is this would add a certain symmetry to the game's marriage choices that was lacking. Ayn, as we know, can marry his cousin Thea. If Laya Younger is Orakio's child, that would mean Nial can marry his great-aunt (several times removed, but still).

I guess Ayn is not the only one that likes to keep things in the family. :shiftyeyes:

:lol: I thought about that, too, and I guess the good news is that Nial and Laya would be separated by a thousand years of descendants. I'm guessing that would be about... 40-50 generations?

Toyo Ozaki has that one comic where Kara mentions she and Aron are betrothed. :knockout: As if we needed more "cousin love" from PSIII. The times I've played Aron's quest I've always considered the relationship between Aron and Kara to be like siblings. I think I'll stick with that.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Thoul » Sun May 16, '10, 8:09 pm

Hm, assuming everyone has kids at an average age of 20, which seems about right based on the few generations we see, 50 would be about right. It could be slightly more generations, since some like Ayn may have kids much earlier. So it's not nearly as close a blood relationship as Ayn and Thea, but it's still kinda creepy!
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PSP » Mon May 17, '10, 2:54 am

No wonder all the generations are dumb as posts. Inbreeding and all. ;p
PSP
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 20

Postby XXXG-00W0 WING-0 » Mon May 17, '10, 6:45 am

Well, inbreeding and royalty are almost sinonyms after all...
"I'm not an adult... I'M A MAN!!!" Major Ozma Lee--Macross Frontier

You know what not to do because Ceiling Cat is watching you...
XXXG-00W0 WING-0
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 17

Next

Return to Phantasy Star III