What is the oldest movie you've seen and enjoyed?

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

What is the oldest movie you've seen and enjoyed?

Postby Thoul » Sun Mar 23, '08, 8:03 pm

Movies have been around for a long time. Watching a movie the other day got me to thinking; I haven't really seen many really old movies. So what do you think is the oldest movie you've seen and enjoyed?

I can't think of anything older than the Wizard of Oz (1939), which was okay, but I haven't seen it in years and didn't enjoy it all that much.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Reno » Sun Mar 23, '08, 10:53 pm

I'll have to go with Wizard of Oz as well, which was decent on it's own, but what was really interesting was the trick with Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" album, where, if you begin listening at the exact time the movie begins, the whole CD goes well with the movie, which ends after two full playthroughs of the album.
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Mar 23, '08, 11:53 pm

Wizard Of Oz is a great movie. I like certain parts of it, but other parts are boring indeed. Interesting twist with the Pink Floyd CD Reno, I'll have to try that sometime.

I've seen a lot of old movies and and can't really remember them all, but the one that comes to mind from this topic is a very old movie starring actor/singer Al Jolson called "The Jazz Singer". I like his singing and some of the songs. His acting wasn't bad either.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby SparkyIII » Mon Mar 24, '08, 4:56 am

I'm not really sure, I don't pay attention to the dates and actors, only the movie. But I know I've seen some pretty pointless movies in black and white, and the humor they have sure is out of date.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby snowdragon » Tue Mar 25, '08, 7:59 pm

not exactly sure, but there were several old sci-fi ones i remember. one of them had the guy who later played batman, cept he was an astronaut who got stranded on the moon or some planet or some other weird place with a monkey. strange movie.

another one i recall is an old one with space ships who come to earth to tell them they better stop fighting or they will be destroyed. i don't remember the name of it, but it was on tv the other week or so. they were both fun to watch.
A Knight is sworn to valor,
his heart knows only virtue,
his blade defends the helpless,
his might upholds the weak,
his word speaks only truth,
his wrath undoes the wicked

(The Old Code - Dragonheart )
snowdragon
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 130

Postby Thoul » Wed Mar 26, '08, 12:36 am

one of them had the guy who later played batman, cept he was an astronaut who got stranded on the moon or some planet or some other weird place with a monkey. strange movie.

I remember that one. I haven't seen it in years, so I can't recall the name. You're right, it was strange. It was made in the 50s or 60s I think and really shows the influence of sci fi as it was at the time.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby DrkTr14ce » Sat Mar 29, '08, 10:13 am

XD

Yeah, I've heard that tale with 'Dark Side of the Moon'. Never tried it, though.

Allright, I'm going to show how young I am again: The best old film, in my opinion, is the first Dawn of the Dead.
Seriously.
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Re: What is the oldest movie you've seen and enjoyed?

Postby Tweeg » Sat Jun 6, '09, 5:46 am

My Man Godfrey (1936)
The copyright for the movie has lapsed and it can be downloaded for free, legally, from this site:
http://www.archive.org/details/my_man_godfrey
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Re: What is the oldest movie you've seen and enjoyed?

Postby Darkil » Tue Jun 16, '09, 1:59 pm

Well I'm going to have to go with Casablanca
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Return to Feature Films