Playstation 3

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Playstation 3

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Oct 18, '07, 6:12 pm

Just saw this news story online about Playstation 3 - 40 GB - being available in the US in November, and the price reduction of the Playstation 3 - 80 GB.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/005721.html

So, what do you think of this 40 GB introduction, and 80 GB price reduction? If you don't have these sytems as yet, how will it, or will it, influence your decision in any way to get one, both, or either of them?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Thu Oct 18, '07, 7:02 pm

One of the comments on that article says the new PS3's have dropped backward compatibility with the PS1 and PS2. If that's true, then my interest the PS3 just took a sharp nosedive.

At this point, there aren't nearly enough interesting PS3 games to carry the console. Part of the PS2's early success was that it had a huge library of great games on launch day, because it could play PS1 games. The PS3 has been a slow starter, game wise, and this doesn't help them. The price cut is nice, but not at the sacrifice of an important feature like that.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Neithird » Fri Oct 19, '07, 4:43 am

I'm glad to see the price coming down, but it's still too expensive for me. I will keep waiting for it to lower to a more reasonable amount.

The 40GB unit doesn't make sense to me. The article said the 20GB was discontinued because people were going for the larger version instead. So they decided to make another smaller version with the same price difference? :dunce: People are just going to get the larger version again.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Yoshi » Fri Oct 19, '07, 6:46 am

I wonder what number of GB is next. :duh:
Yoshi
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 102

Postby Neithird » Sat Oct 20, '07, 4:48 am

Probably 100 or higher, I think. hard drives are always getting less expensive, so it shouldn't affect the price too much. I hope. :worried:
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Sat Oct 20, '07, 8:29 am

If they do a larger version, I would say 120GB is the logical choice. That's what the Xbox 360 has according to that article above, so competing with that on equal ground would remove one of Microsoft's advantages.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Tech and Design