What do most of the spell names mean?

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

What do most of the spell names mean?

Postby Scootaloo » Sun Aug 13, '17, 11:24 pm

A lot of the spells in PSIV are great, but a lot of them have names unintelligible to most English speakers. Some names are pretty simple, like "Res", being short for "Rest", "Wat" being short for "Water", and "Regen" being short for "Regeneration" (though that word is easily more complex than the previous two). There are several others like this, but you get the point.

Then comes names that really leave me stumped. What does stuff like "Warla", "Gelun", and "Legeon" mean? There are a lot of others, but you probably get the point.

So, what exactly do most of the spell names mean? I'm gonna guess most of them mean something in different languages, but other than, I don't really know.
Scootaloo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 48

Re: What do most of the spell names mean?

Postby myau56 » Mon Aug 14, '17, 11:30 am

Interesting question but I don't have the anwer too ! Alas...
Hard to think about it in English as it is not my mother tongue but...
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Aug 11, '18, 4:12 pm

I don't have the answers either. Would be interesting to find out what they mean, if anything.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wanderer From Ys » Thu Jul 1, '21, 12:30 am

There is another obvious one that everyone overlooks. Arows Isn't arrows, it's arouse. Meaning to wake some up, which is exactly what the spell does.
Last edited by Wanderer From Ys on Thu Jul 1, '21, 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wanderer From Ys
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 18

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Jul 1, '21, 6:55 am

Scootaloo wrote:A lot of the spells in PSIV are great, but a lot of them have names unintelligible to most English speakers. Some names are pretty simple, like "Res", being short for "Rest", "Wat" being short for "Water", and "Regen" being short for "Regeneration" (though that word is easily more complex than the previous two). There are several others like this, but you get the point.

Then comes names that really leave me stumped. What does stuff like "Warla", "Gelun", and "Legeon" mean? There are a lot of others, but you probably get the point.

So, what exactly do most of the spell names mean? I'm gonna guess most of them mean something in different languages, but other than, I don't really know.

I'm not sure (though I have potential theories), but if you could find the original spell names in Japanese I could transcribe them and maybe they would offer some clues.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby myau56 » Thu Jul 1, '21, 12:23 pm

Bragatyr wrote:
Scootaloo wrote:A lot of the spells in PSIV are great, but a lot of them have names unintelligible to most English speakers. Some names are pretty simple, like "Res", being short for "Rest", "Wat" being short for "Water", and "Regen" being short for "Regeneration" (though that word is easily more complex than the previous two). There are several others like this, but you get the point.

I'm not sure (though I have potential theories), but if you could find the original spell names in Japanese I could transcribe them and maybe they would offer some clues.

Would be so nice ! So kind of you dear Bragatyr ! :) :clap:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Darkil » Thu Jul 1, '21, 2:03 pm

Bragatyr wrote:

That is indeed very kind of you Bragatyr. I'm willing to bet it's simply a matter of a terrible job at translating the Japanese text to English, whether that means whoever translated it didn't know what they were doing or simply weren't bothered to make it more understandable is debatable. I know as much as I love PSIII, I realize the translation for that game leaves a lot to be desired.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby myau56 » Thu Jul 1, '21, 2:18 pm

Yes ! The translation in PSIII was a bit bad (and it's often the case in many RPG but true that there is a lot of work of translation to do in the vast majority of each one ! ;)).
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Icecypher » Fri Jul 16, '21, 9:19 pm

Some of the techs in PS sound more German than English.

The fire techs are "foie", which is very similar to how Feuer sounds.
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 63

Postby Zio_Falz » Thu Aug 19, '21, 11:29 pm

Icecypher wrote:Some of the techs in PS sound more German than English.

The fire techs are "foie", which is very similar to how Feuer sounds.

Agreed. They are totally German.
Foi is pronounced as Feuer.
Saner, is actually the German "Schnell" (fast/quickly)
Wat, is Wasser/Water obviously.
Etc.

I forget where on the internet, but somewhere on PSCave, I think, breaks down the exact translations of items and techs in PS, specifically, PS Generations II, but they are almost all German terms originally. ( Then in the games original English release, were German terms, translated to Japanese, and from there to English, leading to many of the odd butchering of names of items/techs. )
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Next

Return to Phantasy Star IV