What books are you reading now?

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Re: What books are you reading now?

Postby Hukos » Fri Sep 12, '14, 9:43 am

As much as I love BNW, I haven't read all that much sci-fi (Well, I have read Stranger in a Strange land and I love that book too!). I guess I should change that.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Postby Icecypher » Fri Sep 12, '14, 6:25 pm

I have not read that many Sci-Fi books, either. As much as I would like to, work, video games, comics, fan art and sleep take a lot of my time. :lol:

Bragatyr wrote:I would be very cool with that, I'm a believer in the author's right to evolve and see things differently, and the idea of a strict canon bothers me.

Then you might like Leiji Matsumoto's work. Each one is set in a slightly different universe, sometimes acknowledging things that happened in other series, but sometimes with different versions or ommiting things like character meetings and deaths.

So far, I have only seen Queen of a 1000 years (awesome series) and Harlock Saga. I hope to one day watch the rest of his work.
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 63

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Sep 15, '14, 5:04 pm

Does class reading count? I think it does. I've started The Hitchhiker's Guide to Life Cycle Assessment. I'm taking a class on life cycle assessment this fall (that is, the methodology of measuring environmental and/or health impacts of products or services from cradle to grave, as it were). I have to do a project for this class, and it may turn into a thesis and it may involve LCA and video games...
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Mon Sep 15, '14, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Icecypher » Mon Sep 15, '14, 9:39 pm

Wolf Bird wrote:Does class reading count?

Only if you are enjoying it. :party:
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 63

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Sep 16, '14, 6:21 am

In this case, I am.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Bragatyr » Sun Oct 5, '14, 4:16 am

I'm reading Suttree, by Cormac McCarthy, which is simultaneously one of the saddest, darkest things I've ever read and one of the most hilarious, and Landnamabok, the early book on the settlement of Iceland.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby augmentedfourth » Thu Oct 9, '14, 5:41 pm

I just finished Before I Go To Sleep, by S.J. Watson, last night. It was very good, it took real effort for me to put it down every night and go to sleep (har har). I wouldn't necessarily say it was scary, or even creepy, but until I got to the end, it definitely left me with a unsettled feeling throughout.
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby Hukos » Fri Oct 10, '14, 3:07 am

Just so I know what people are talking about when they talk about the Game of Thrones tv show, I've been reading the song of Ice and Fire books. I'm currently in the middle of Storm of Swords.

They're definitely good, but I don't know if they're worth the massive praise they good.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Dec 25, '14, 5:15 pm

Still waiting for Martin to finish Game of Thrones before I start! Right now I'm reading The Incredulity of Father Brown and skimming through the Quran again. I randomly picked out Al-A'raaf, I really enjoyed that one because of its description of the Islamic creation story and the origin of Iblis, the Satanic figure, as well as its depiction of the prophets.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Dec 25, '14, 11:33 pm

After getting Bill Nye's new book Undeniable, I plowed through it in 3 days. Great book, easy read but still very informative, and I swear sometimes I was reading it while hearing his voice in my head. I even caught more than a few references to his TV show back in the 90s.

I also recently finished Guns, Germs and Steel and The Lost World.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Thu Dec 25, '14, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf Bird

PreviousNext

Return to Leapin' Library