What books are you reading now?

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Re: What books are you reading now?

Postby Darkil » Thu May 7, '09, 1:30 pm

I am currently reading 3 Conan novels written by Robert Jordan and I must say the first one was awesome! The great thing is they've all been compacted into one large book so it's a bit easier to keep up with.

To touch up on something mentioned on the first page of the thread, I can understand when reading a book and it references something you haven't read before, especially with Star Wars. I've read a slew of the Star Wars books that are out and I can tell you that when I first saw that in a book, it enticed me to find out what they were talking about and I'm glad I followed through because I've read some really awesome stories.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu May 7, '09, 2:45 pm

I recently got a copy of "Mind of the Raven" by Bernd Heinrich. These birds are so smart its scary. The book is divided into chapters based on different aspects of raven life and behavior, and it's mostly about individual ravens, captive and wild,and various things that they do regarding different behaviors. It's been nice to be able to read for fun again since I don't have so much class reading anymore.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby bretlin » Wed May 20, '09, 5:54 am

I actually just finished reading Trisha Baker's Crimson Vampire Trilogy: "Crimson Kiss," "Crimson Night," and "Crimson Shadows." Excellent, excellent story overall! I've now switched gears and I'm reading "The Manny" by Sarah L. Thomson that I've borrowed from the library :reading:
bretlin
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 2

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon May 25, '09, 7:52 pm

My reading is beginning to shift to my summer project...research on Africa and Botswana. That way, once I start at University of Pittsburgh in fall, I got a good head start for research work I will do while there. Right now, I'm reading 'The Fate of Africa', which is just simply an overview of Africa's history from independence to the turn of century. I have three other books on Africa on queue (two focused on Botswana) and many online books/articles bookmarked to get to the future.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Darkil » Fri May 29, '09, 6:11 pm

This may be silly to ask you CW but in that book regarding Africa's history, does it mention Shaka Zulu in there?
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri May 29, '09, 11:01 pm

Haven't gotten very far into the book, but so far, no mention. And I don't expect him to be mentioned, because I'm reading a book about independence to the present, and Shaka Zulu is from the 1800s.

Wolf Bird

Postby Snorb » Sat May 30, '09, 4:03 am

Right now, I'm reading two books by the infamous Hunter S. Thompson: "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and "Fear and Loathing On the Campaign Trail '72." These are... well, they're based on actual events Hunter Thompson experienced. While on a lot of drugs. Lemme grab the back of the book...

The sporting editors had also given me $300 in cash, most of which was already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. The trunk of the car looked like a mobile police narcotics lab. We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls.
All this had been rounded up before, in a frenzy of high-speed driving all over Los Angeles County- from Topanga to Watts, we picked up everything we could get our hands on. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Fun stuff!
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby bretlin » Sat May 30, '09, 6:56 am

I finished reading The Manny and now I'm re-reading Stories in Stone, a guide to symbolism and iconography found in cemeteries.
bretlin
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 2

Postby Thoul » Wed Apr 28, '10, 9:06 pm

Well, let's get this going again, shall we? I'm not reading anything right now, but the last thing I read was The Gypsy Morph by Terry Brooks.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby luke » Wed Apr 28, '10, 9:20 pm

just finished "less than zero" and now reading "the rules of attraction", both by bret easton ellis. i'm going for "american psycho" after that, and will probably finish the rest of his novels.
cooper, today you remind me of a small mexican chihuahua
luke
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 9

PreviousNext

Return to Leapin' Library