What Are Your 5 All-time Favorite Games?

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Re: What Are Your 5 All-time Favorite Games?

Postby The $ Avenger » Tue Jul 17, '07, 12:13 am

Thoul, I never played the first Grandia, but I had the second for the DC. I was quite impressed by the depth of the story. Was the first a lot like it?
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Tue Jul 17, '07, 12:43 am

Oh, Thoul, which version of TP did you play?

I played the GameCube version. I don't have a Wii, so that was out. I probably would have gone for the 'Cube game anyway, thanks to the whole mirroring effect on the Wii version. I don't mind Link switching hands (he's always struck me as being more ambidextrous than left or right handed), but switching the whole world around is a bit much!

Thoul, I never played the first Grandia, but I had the second for the DC. I was quite impressed by the depth of the story. Was the first a lot like it?

Yes and no. The mechanics of the game are a lot similar (except for learning spells, that's much different). The story isn't as deep as Grandia II. That one had a lot of subplots with the whole religion, good/evil, traitors, reluctant hero and villian stuff. Grandia I is basically about a very optimistic boy who wants, more than anything, to go on an Adventure. Of course he winds up doing just that, making friends and saving the world along the way.

There is more depth to Grandia I than it sounds like from that, but it's not nearly as deep as Grandia II. It is impressive for a Saturn/early Playstation game.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Tue Jul 17, '07, 8:53 am

I would have to say
1:Phantasy Star IV - This was perhaps the first RPG game I ever played. This is what made me want to play other RPG games.
2:Tales Of Symphonia - IT has much stuff to do and I love how they have the battle system. Everything in this game is wonderful but still doesn't beat PSIV.
3:Alundra 2 - I loved playing the many puzzles in this game. The game was challenging and enjoyable.
4:Goldeneye 007 - Perhaps one of the greatest first person shooting games ever. The levels were fairly large and the graphics were decent. The movie wasn't too bad either. :lol:
5:Super Mario RPG - I loved this game because it has mario in it, RPG style. The story was decent, the graphics were awesome.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jul 17, '07, 9:53 pm

Well, I'm a little more tamer and behind in my game playing. :oops: :wink:

My all time favs that I can think of at the moment are:

(1)Super Mario 2
(2)Super Mario 3
(3)Super Mario 1
(4)Super Mario 64
(5)Mega Man

:hmm:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Atlinsmere » Tue Jul 17, '07, 10:39 pm

:idea: You're alot like my brother. You like Super Mario...
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Neithird » Thu Jul 19, '07, 1:52 am

These are my five, but there's no specific order to these.

PSIV - I think everyone has covered the reasons on this one already. :)
Dragon Quest VIII - A perfect blend of classic and modern gaming. I played a game made after 2000 and felt like I was reliving a NES game. For an old school gamer, this is joy.
Chrono Trigger - Excellent execution of an excellent concept. I love the way they added different endings at each point in the game.
Super Metroid
Spider-Man on PlayStation - When it came out, it was called the best superhero game ever. It is. The designers captured the spirit of comics, had fun with it, and it made the game a great experience.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Atolm » Fri Jul 20, '07, 9:27 am

My favorite five, with #1 being my all time favorite.

1. Panzer Dragoon Saga. I bought this game for 10 bucks during high school, and it has been the best 10 dollars I have ever spent on any game. Good characters, the awesome hybrid battle system of a shooter and rpg, music... an incredible gaming experience.

2. PSIV - Yeah well... you know..

3. Ecco the Dolphin - The game is harder than what most people think, and deserves more recognition. Beautiful game, especially the second game: Tides of Time.

4. Final Fantasy 6 - I am not a big FF fan, but this game had really good character development, story and a great score to go with it.

5. Chrono Trigger - I loved the idea of traveling through time! Especially with the different endings! The New Year's vacation I spent playing this game was not wasted!

Alot of these are older games I realised... the newest one being PDS.. Oh well!
Dark Force: This is the best chocolate cupcake EVAR! *stuffs face*
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Zafneir » Fri Aug 10, '07, 12:20 pm

1: Shining Force 2
2: Phantasy Star 4
3: Ace Combat 5
4: Star Ocean 2
5: Mega Man 2
Drum Solo of Life!
Zafneir
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 12

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Aug 24, '07, 1:58 am

Anyone agree, or disagree, with this list of the top 5 most addictive games at the link below:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20398361/?GT1=10252

Their top 5 list includes:

1.World Of Warcraft
2.EverQuest
3.Peggle
4.Doom
5.Tetris
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby The $ Avenger » Fri Aug 24, '07, 2:07 am

I've only played Doom and Tetris, which were both fun, but I've never agreed with the term addiction in regard to video games. Those games are great, but I've never had a physical dependency on any game, not even the PS series!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming