Star Ocean!

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Star Ocean!

Postby Jack Lias » Fri Nov 12, '10, 12:38 am

No, I'm not talking about Star Ocean III: 'Till the End of Time, which is probably the first game in the series that many of you have played, nor am I talking about The Last Hope which was just released for the PS3 and 360.

I'm talking about Star Ocean I and II for the PSP. Those games are simply amazing and it makes me depressed that the only traditional RPGs coming out nowadays are either ports of older games to newer consoles, or remakes of older games onto newer consoles. So, we have Star Ocean, and a whole slew of massively multiplayer online games.

If you've played the original or the ported/remakes of Star Ocean I or II, then give a shout out here.
Jack Lias
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 34

Re: Star Ocean!

Postby Thoul » Fri Nov 12, '10, 3:19 am

I have the PlayStation version of the second game, but I've never gotten around to playing it. I bought a few years ago during one of my RPG crazes. I should really give it a try sometime.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Jack Lias » Fri Nov 12, '10, 3:22 am

Unlike most RPG series, each Star Ocean game is related to one another. The relations aren't subtle, either. For example, Claude's (the main character) father in Star Ocean II is one of the playable characters from the first Star Ocean, which took place about 20 years before the second game.
Jack Lias
Explorer
Explorer

Postby Snorb » Fri Nov 12, '10, 5:38 am

Star Ocean had one of the greatest whine-fests I've ever seen when First Departure hit the PSP. Make the translation inconsistent with Star Ocean 3 and 4? Fans won't complain. Tack an extra E onto Dorn's name so it's Dorne? Sure why not? Yuri Lowenthal's the main character in another RPG?

...Bad example. (For the record, he's also Cecil in Final Fantasy IV DS, Minato Arisato in Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3, and The Courier in Fallout: New Vegas. Oh, and the Prince of Persia.)

The big big complaint that got the Internet a whining: You have a healer. Her full name is Mildred. Don't you dare spell the familiar diminutive Millie instead of Milly, which the SNES fan translation uses. This was serious business.
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Jack Lias » Fri Nov 12, '10, 5:46 am

Anyone who badmouths an official translation for differing from a fan translation deserves a very hard, bone-shattering smack.
Jack Lias
Explorer
Explorer

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Nov 12, '10, 4:52 pm

I've played quite a bit of SO2 on the PS1 but I could never get hooked. Shame at that, I love sci-Fi a million times more than medieval fantasy. I have yet to try SO3.

So4, I recently bought on a whim, I played through it twice in a row. I am completely, totally in love with it. To me, it is what Phantasy Star should have become.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Xeno » Thu Apr 11, '13, 11:55 am

Star Ocean is one of the best games in the world! :D
The Last Hope was the first one I got, then Second Evolution and then First Departure.

What can I say about them? I played TLH to death (10 consecutive playthroughs!). The only problems I had were that Edge was a *&%# idiot and Reimi was TOO PERFECT! :rofl:
... Anyway, I'll leave that aside now out of fear of making a flame war. I did not mean any offense to anyone who likes Edge. :lol:

Second Evolution was really fun and addictive. It's characters are wonderful and it's music is likely the best I've ever heard!

First Departure literally made me fall in love. There was one character there, her name is Mavelle Froesson (Marvel Frozen in the SNES version). She is my ideal! If I'm not at Fringes of Algo, it's likely because I'm too busy playing that game on my PSP. I love how that game actually is rather realistic and you have such perfect freedom there.
In the most extreme case, one of the main characters can actually die if you don't make the right choices in a certain dungeon. That can make the game really dark.

I love Star Ocean, no other game has ever made me feel like I do when I play it... well, except for maybe Phantasy Star IV.
Last edited by Xeno on Thu Apr 11, '13, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nei deserved better.

Current project: Phantasy Star - The Age of Numans
Xeno
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby myau56 » Thu Apr 11, '13, 9:02 pm

STAR OCEAN is so great ! I haven't "really" played all the games of this fantastic franchise but I've enjoyed all the time I've played with them !
I've tried all of them (except Blue Sphere ?) and all are great games ! But the most important for me about this serie is the MUSIC : SAKURABA Motoi is the greatest composer of all times in Video Games !! :) :fiery:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby tilinelson2 » Fri Apr 12, '13, 12:02 am

I have played only the first one on PSP, and I quite liked it. I have all the others, but I just haven't had the time to play them because I have many unplayed PSP games and I want to play them in order.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Xeno » Fri Apr 12, '13, 6:07 pm

tilinelson2 wrote:I have played only the first one on PSP, and I quite liked it. I have all the others, but I just haven't had the time to play them because I have many unplayed PSP games and I want to play them in order.

Oh whew, you couldn't have had a better start off with the series! The second one is also great :D

The first game needs more love, IMO...
Nei deserved better.

Current project: Phantasy Star - The Age of Numans
Xeno
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Return to General Gaming