What are you currently playing?

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Re: What are you currently playing?

Postby Apprentice_of_Crys » Fri Feb 17, '12, 7:49 pm

@enigmaopoeia: Congratultions! So which ending did you like best?
Apprentice_of_Crys
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 62

Postby enigmaopoeia » Fri Feb 17, '12, 8:11 pm

Apprentice_of_Crys wrote:@enigmaopoeia: Congratultions! So which ending did you like best?

Thank you! :happy_marle:

* I've been pondering over this in my head countless times and I think I would rank the endings, from least favorite to favorite as: Crys, Adan, Aron, and Sean.

I'm not very good at explaining why, so I'll just leave it as that.
~ enigmaopoeia
enigmaopoeia
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 33

Postby Thoul » Fri Feb 17, '12, 9:45 pm

Good work on finishing all four endings. :) I can't do all four of them so close together myself. I start getting bored with the repetitiveness of it.

enigmaopoeia wrote:And with that, I will be moving onto Phantasy Star IV later today. I just hope it doesn't suffer from the "Symphony of the Night curse".

"Symphony of the Night curse"? What do you mean? :?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby myau56 » Fri Feb 17, '12, 10:19 pm

enigmaopoeia wrote:Last night, I have completed beaten Phantasy Star III as all four heroes! To anyone curious, here are my party's levels for all of the generations:

[First Generation]
- Rhys LV20 / Mieu LV20 / Wren LV19 / Lyle LV7 / Lena LV15.

[Second Generation]
- Ayn LV24 / Mieu LV39 / Wren LV40 / Thea LV34 / Sari LV2.
- Nial LV16 / Mieu LV31 / Wren LV31 / Ryan LV5 / Laya LV28.

[Third Generation]
- Sean LV14 / Mieu LV52 / Wren LV52 / Laya LV48 / Kara LV4.
- Crys LV14 / Mieu LV52 / Wren LV52 / Laya LV48 / Kara LV4.
- Adan LV13 / Mieu LV50 / Wren LV50 / Gwyn LV49 / Kara LV49.
- Aron LV13 / Mieu LV50 / Wren LV50 / Kara LV50 / Laya LV50.

I only had insane Levels as Ayn because I married Maia first and I was grinding for Meseta to buy two Star Mists that I ended up never using.

And with that, I will be moving onto Phantasy Star IV later today. I just hope it doesn't suffer from the "Symphony of the Night curse".

Greetings too ! Hope you'll enjoy Phantasy Star IV (I'm quasi certain of it ! Impossible to find it bad !).
Why specially buy two star mists in Ayn's Quest ?
A question : what is this "symphony of the night curse" ? (I know the game even if I didn't finished it completely...).
And I'll finish with the level of my characters at the end of the First Generation :
Rhys : LV25 /Mieu : LV25/Wren : LV24/Lyle : LV8/Lena : LV20
Last edited by myau56 on Fri Feb 17, '12, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby enigmaopoeia » Fri Feb 17, '12, 10:34 pm

Thoul wrote:Good work on finishing all four endings. :) I can't do all four of them so close together myself. I start getting bored with the repetitiveness of it.

Thanks! I have to beat them in the same sitting or else I "forget" my methods and thus I spend more time trying to get back into the habit. I'm weird like that, haha.

Thoul wrote:"Symphony of the Night curse"? What do you mean? :?

I might get flamed for this, so gonna equip this FlameEmel here... :boast_dk:

Back then, I was doing a Castlevania marathon where I was playing all of the games in order by release date. Everyone kept hyping me on how "amazing" and how "great" Symphony of the Night is. By the time I actually start playing this game and beating it, I ended up not being that crazy about it. I can understand the glowing reviews and I think it deserves all the credit it can get. However, personally, it's pretty low on my favorite games in the Castlevania series list. Then again, I'm well known for liking "bad stuff". :neenboo:

Now we can apply this to Phantasy Star III and Phantasy Star IV. People tell me how awful Phantasy Star III is, but I ended up enjoying it. So I'd imagine with all of the hype that Phantasy Star IV gets, and my friends telling me I should "skip PSIII and go straight to PSIV" -- I feel like I am either not going to like Phantasy Star IV or not enjoy it as much as all of the praise it gets. Thus it suffers from the "Symphony of the Night curse"; a game generally well-liked by the fans that I ended up not liking as much.

myau56 wrote:Why specially buy two star mists in Ayn's Quest ?

I read in one walkthrough that it is needed for the final battle with Dark Force. I ended up not using any Star Mists or Moon Dews. I think I might have used one on Crys' chapter, but that was due to a mistake on my behalf -- teaches me to mash buttons during the final boss battle. :roll:
Last edited by enigmaopoeia on Fri Feb 17, '12, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ enigmaopoeia
enigmaopoeia
Hunter
Hunter

Postby tilinelson2 » Sat Feb 18, '12, 2:24 am

PSIV is the worst story-wise. The fact that it has lots of dialogue because technology allowed that, and because it was admittedly influenced by FFIV doesn't make it better. The story lost its originiality because of the extensive use of cliches, and it tries so much to have references to previous PS games that it ruins some bits of the series story.

That doesnt mean it is a bad game, and surely people who played it at the time loved it because of its polished presentation, but I don't consider it as good as the others because it lacked the originality and the pioneerism of the other games of the series.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby myau56 » Sat Feb 18, '12, 1:29 pm

Thoul wrote:Good work on finishing all four endings. :) I can't do all four of them so close together myself. I start getting bored with the repetitiveness of it.

enigmaopoeia wrote:And with that, I will be moving onto Phantasy Star IV later today. I just hope it doesn't suffer from the "Symphony of the Night curse".

"Symphony of the Night curse"? What do you mean? :?

OUPS same question sorry ! Didn't see it before.. But I'm happy to have the answer !!:)
And yes the game is truly and really fantastic but to play all the thirs generations as follows is something I canno't do myself too...it's a bit repetitive...
But I'm happy that you'll be able AT LAST to play Phantasy Star IV !!

TILINELSON : You found PSIV so "negatively" ? I can understand because during my first travel through the game, I was a bit disapointed but I changed my mind later. This game is so good ! But I'ma lways prefering the first one ^^ And I can't see a lot of clichés (I love this word !!) or all RPG are full of them !
But I didn't agree about the reminiscences of the older Phantasy Star : I find them quasi all well tied and very attractive... but that's just a matter of point of view.

ENIGMAOPOEIA :

I understand what is this "Symphony of the night syndrome" (or something like that...) : a game or a movie that a lot of people recommend to you and at theen, deception...or on the contrary.. a film, game or whatever you want : a lot of people tell you not tyo see it ar not to play it and paf !! You like it so much...
But I hope you'll enjoy PSIV as you enjoyed PSIII !!
PS : yes you seems to be a little weird lol Play a lot of games following is something I'm unable to do...

Never read the walkthrough.. and you read it before playing the game ? Rohh that's not fair !!^^
Last edited by myau56 on Sat Feb 18, '12, 1:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Feb 18, '12, 5:04 pm

I've flipping back and forth between Little Big Planet and Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction. Once I complete one or the other (and by that I mean Ratchet and Clank, as LBP is one of those games you never really 'complete' since there's always levels being added online) I may start Skyrim or Saints Row 2.

And I still have Skylanders to complete. >_>
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby enigmaopoeia » Sun Feb 19, '12, 12:22 am

Just started Phantasy Star IV last night, I haven't got very far in the game. Only made it as far as actually entering the basement with Hahn.

So far, I do not like the "slippery movements" of the characters. For example, when I walk toward an object to examine it, they will move to the right of the object once I touch it like they're slippery or something. Therefore I have to tap on the controller to make them face said object in order to examine it. This is just a slight complaint thus far, so I'll see when I play some more tonight.
Last edited by enigmaopoeia on Sun Feb 19, '12, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ enigmaopoeia
enigmaopoeia
Hunter
Hunter

Postby myau56 » Sun Feb 19, '12, 10:20 am

I agree with you : this slippering movement towards objects and all the kind is so boring ! As I love so much to check all the elements in the game and to try to touch all I can (am I a tactile player ? ;)). I'm a big fan of touching/reading all I can in a RPG and I'm even a bit disapointed in games not allowing the player to do that...
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming