What are you currently playing?

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Postby pitohui » Sun Jan 18, '09, 2:56 pm

Started playing Mother tonight. Last week's Retronauts was all about Earthbound, and it always puts me in the mood for whatever's being discussed. Figured I should start from the beginning!

Slowing down a bit with PSZ. I'm reaching the end of Hard Mode, but the final quest is about as long as all of the other ones combined, so it's taking a while. :grumpy:

I also grabbed Castlevania Chronicles off of PSN. It's slow going (even with the options stacked in my favor) and I'm currently stuck on the wolfman boss in the clock tower.

Downloaded the LotR demo as well, but it was so impossibly bad that I deleted it after a few minutes.
pitohui
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 14

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Jan 18, '09, 4:26 pm

pitohui wrote:Started playing Mother tonight. Last week's Retronauts was all about Earthbound, and it always puts me in the mood for whatever's being discussed. Figured I should start from the beginning!

Have to comment...because I'm me. :p

I'm so glad Retronauts wasn't axed so they could still do this podcast on Earthbound. Though, I've never played the first game in the series. I've looked up stuff about it and I know the story since it's pretty much the backstory behind Mother 2/Earthbound, and it actually sounds like I might not like it, because of grinding. My patience only goes so far when it comes to grinding solely for levels. Though, I know that Starmen.net has a patch that makes the enemies give you twice as much money and experience, so maybe I'll try it sometime with that patch and a English version of the rom. pitohui, please let me know what you think, I'm curious if some of the stuff I've heard/looked up is true.

I don't think I need to say a word on Earthbound and Mother 3. :mrgreen:
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby pitohui » Mon Jan 19, '09, 6:59 pm

I'm about halfway through and enjoying it quite a bit. I've never even played Earthbound, so I'm really starting from scratch here. Being a big Dragon Quest nerd I'm actually quite a fan of grinding, so the game hasn't proven very difficult for me thus far. The music is cute, the story is simple (in an endearingly Itoi way) and the text is phenomenal (and surprisingly consistent) for a fan translation. I'm looking forward to the next two.
pitohui
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 14

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Feb 5, '09, 5:40 am

I beat Mirror's Edge a few days ago and wound up going back to Assassin's Creed.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Feb 5, '09, 6:07 am

As of late, been playing Destroy All Humans!: Big Willy Unleashed for the Wii, which a friend got me for my birthday. I'm about 3/4 through the game...normally, I'd be a bit further along, but I'm pretty sandbox-happy a lot of the time and this game offers plenty of reasons to take advantage of sandboxing when you complete a mission, and not just simply for the fun of vaporizing the human race on foot, in a saucer, and a giant mech. But overall...I think the game is pretty good. I was a bit afraid of controls, but they work very nicely on the Wii. It doesn't change too much of the DAH formula, but the graphics are upgraded, and now there's a giant mech to wreak havoc in. Though I will say I'm a bit disappointed in the fact that there are only four maps (down from 6 in the first game and 5 in the second), but I haven't seen the last one yet and the third one I love. So if the fourth map is awesome, I may forgive that. Otherwise, this game continues some DAH traditions...parodying the era (the 70s in this case) with plenty of pop culture and political references from that time period. I will also say I have laughed out loud a few times, especially at one Lord of the Rings reference that was so obvious in the game's plotline that the developers ran with it and made fun of themselves for it. It doesn't make any radical changes and did take some flak for that, but it also seems to be targeted mainly at the people who already liked DAH to begin with. Thus, I'm enjoying it.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Feb 10, '09, 5:59 am

We recently acquired Warcraft 3 and have been experimenting with it.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Thu Feb 12, '09, 8:33 pm

Well, I just finished a rental period on Eternal Sonata for Xbox 360. It's fun, though battles can get repetitive. It goes a little overboard with the music references. Music is a major theme of the game, but I think having every single person and place named after something dealing with music was a little too much. Especially when you have to scrape the barrel for "Mt. Rock."
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Thu Feb 19, '09, 3:54 pm

I tried FFV... Got to the 2nd world and got bored with it.

Time to go back to beating Dragon Warrior III! ^_^
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Snorb » Thu Feb 19, '09, 4:00 pm

Dragon Warrior V DS. Why o why did Squenix localize "Mildrath" as "Nimzo" I can't take this final boss seriously anymore. I'll be most disappointed if Dragon Warrior VI DS doesn't have a final boss named Deathtamoor.

Good game, though. ^^
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Tsunami » Thu Feb 19, '09, 4:09 pm

Snorb wrote:Dragon Warrior V DS. Why o why did Squenix localize "Mildrath" as "Nimzo" I can't take this final boss seriously anymore. I'll be most disappointed if Dragon Warrior VI DS doesn't have a final boss named Deathtamoor.

Good game, though. ^^
Lol. xD

Nimzo?? Wow... and I couldn't take him seriously before since he reminded me of Piccolo from Dragon Ball! :lol: This is just too much!
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming