What are you currently playing? Part 2

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Re: What are you currently playing? Part 2

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Jul 3, '14, 1:59 pm

So now besides Borderlands, I'm also playing Jak II, on the Jak & Daxter HD collection, and Velocity Ultra. Jak II…well, I know that in that series, the second and third games aren't as well loved as the first. I can understand why. Starting with the second one, they definitely started trying to rip off Ratchet & Clank, and I'm not sure they did it very well. Also, the second one takes a significantly darker tone compared to the first. Now that part of it I like. While I enjoyed the first game, it felt like a tired collect-a-thon with a paper thin story and I never felt much of a reason to care about the characters, but I felt like the game kept trying to convince me I should. The original Spyro trilogy had a thicker, more fleshed out story than Jak & Daxter, and Ratchet & Clank most certainly did. Well, the second game definitely has fleshed out the story more and I actually have a reason to get invested in it, the characters, and the world. There's also a feeling of character progression; it's not much, but you can get weapon upgrades. It's better than nothing. The lack of character progression bothered me in the first, as it certainly wasn't a short game and not much changed about the gameplay from beginning to end. All that said, there's flaws, and the big one is that the game is pretty unforgiving. Naughty Dog clearly had something against checkpoints while developing this game, which alone makes it feel like an unforgiving grind sometimes. Vehicles are about as durable as a sculpture made of popsicle sticks and Elmer's glue, and basically handle the way a snowmobile would if someone smeared olive oil on the skids and drove across a perfectly smooth sheet of ice i.e., they don't handle at all. Oh, I'm sorry, you want to DRIVE? No, we'd rather you'd ping-pong around after so much as tapping another vehicle, as well as have the city guards pursue you like a pack of bloodhounds after you've stolen their evening steak.

As for Velocity Ultra…well, it's a PS Vita freebie I picked up. It's a vertical shoot-em-up. Not much to say there, though the game introduces an interesting teleport mechanic that allows them to make some pretty neat level designs. I think I might actually go for the platinum trophy on this game, which isn't something I do that frequently.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby augmentedfourth » Thu Jul 3, '14, 3:52 pm

I'm replaying Dragon Age: Origins with a different origin character to see everything I missed and make some different decisions (and see the minor changes with the different origin, of course). So far, I'm liking this origin very much. I'll probably wind up starting all the different origins and playing through until the point where they converge, but I don't know how many times I'll actually replay the entire game. (After this playthrough, I do want to play the whole thing once more, though.)

It's a really fun game, but it didn't quite capture my heart in the same way Dragon Age 2 did. I'm still crazy excited for DA3 in the fall! I can't remember the last time I was so excited about the upcoming release of something!
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Jul 3, '14, 4:36 pm

It's an awesome feeling to be excited about an upcoming game or movie or book! I'm really looking forward to the next Smash game.

I'm playing Jet Force Gemini right now, which is pretty fun, but I'm kind of at a loss about where to go next.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Aeroprism » Thu Jul 3, '14, 5:32 pm

After playing through PS2: Numan Revolution, I looked for something to help extend my Kingdoms of Amalur break so I decided to give Bioshock 2 another chance and I'm glad I did because this time, it stuck. I'm almost done playing it, planning to jump right to Bioshock Infinity when I'm done.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby myau56 » Fri Jul 4, '14, 8:56 pm

I'v just started back 999 (or Nine hours, Nine persons, Nine doors) to have the 3 last endings and finish the game at last ! (what a marvelous game, evenif VLR is better !).
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Aeroprism » Sat Jul 5, '14, 4:21 am

Well, Bioshock 2 finished. Was a very, very good game after all. WB, when you finally get to it, don't let the initial difficulty deter you; in the end, you're unstoppable.

Also, if you are like me, you will get to hate Sofia Lamb and her annoying, patronizing voice. She just won't shut up!

Anyways, on to Bioshock Infinite!
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Jul 5, '14, 5:52 am

Well, finished Velocity Ultra, but ultimately decided not to bother with completionism/platinum trophy, for two reasons. First is that one level seems permanently glitched in a way that stops me from getting a perfect, which is necessary for 100%. Second is the difficulty curve. Now, it's smooth for the most part. But for the last five levels, the programmers seemed to discover the concept of exponents, and decided to apply that newfound idea to the difficulty curve. I don't mind a challenge, but I do have limits and I don't like sudden difficulty jumps. I was able to beat them, but trying to get a perfect score might be aneurysm inducing.

So I started Flower on my Vita. Very different game, and developed by the same team as flOw, which I loved.

Aero, good to hear on Bioshock 2. It's in my 'eventually' pile.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sat Jul 5, '14, 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Sat Jul 5, '14, 5:56 pm

Aeroprism wrote:Well, Bioshock 2 finished. Was a very, very good game after all. WB, when you finally get to it, don't let the initial difficulty deter you; in the end, you're unstoppable.

Also, if you are like me, you will get to hate Sofia Lamb and her annoying, patronizing voice. She just won't shut up!

Anyways, on to Bioshock Infinite!

Yes ! What a great game ! The two bioshocks are equally great for me and that was so cool to play and finish them ! One of the best video game serie ever... :clap:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Aeroprism » Sat Jul 5, '14, 6:41 pm

Myau56, did you play it in English or was there a French version available in Europe? Just curious...
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby myau56 » Sat Jul 5, '14, 7:15 pm

Oups I can't remember ! But If I try to "Watch" in my memory...I think that this was in french from the basis (the voices and the dialogues were in french..BUT it's particular as all my consoles are put in English in the menus and all the games are "played" in English ! I do that to be possible to make some progress in writing English :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming