What are you currently playing? Part 2

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Re: What are you currently playing? Part 2

Postby R-90-2 » Sun Dec 17, '17, 6:44 pm

Now playing: Romancing SaGa 2.

Not gonna lie, I was probably about as hype for this as I was for Trails in the Sky.

The first reason is just the premise: The Seven Legendary Heroes who Saved the World in the Distant Past and then disappeared have now returned in a time of chaos. But the heroes who once fought for world peace now want a piece of the world, and have raised their own armies of warriors and monsters to lay siege to the continent. So, it's up to the Emperor of Varennes and his successors to unite the continent, strengthen the country, and acquire the knowledge and weapons required to raise a band of warriors capable of defeating the Seven Heroes.

One of the more unusual things is that the game's narrative is a fairly light touch even for back then, but that's typical of the Romancing SaGa series- you have a starting point and an end point, and how you get there is pretty much up to the player to work out. After the prologue, the game is subdivided into a bunch of scenarios that the player can choose to tackle pretty much however- there are some dependencies on when scenarios become available based on when you've completed previous scenarios in the chain. And many of these have multiple approaches that can result in different outcomes that you might have to clean up the results of later.

To give you an idea of how much of an outlier this game is, let's talk about one of the more basic parts of a JRPG: Money. In most games your primary interaction with the economy are weapons and item shops, but in RS2 you will always have far more gold than you can carry, and you will rarely need to spend money at equipment shops because new recruits will come with the best equipment Avalon can build, so just walking into a shop and laying down some cash just isn't something you really do, and when you do it's basically Imperial pocket change. The game's real money crunch is in R&D and public works, like magic research, building new facilities, and so on. So you'll find these chests full of hundreds of thousands of gold in the prologue, and need to think about whether it goes towards building a Magic Institute or Armor Research or whatever.

An example of the intersection between these two is a scenario that's available to me in my current playthrough. I have the opportunity to go after one of the Seven Heroes, but he's on this huge landship that's so fast and covered warriors monster that I can't just hop on board. So, I have two options- I can get deliberately captured and brought on board, where my team is stripped of their equipment and I have a hard start even if I prepared for weaponless combat. Or I could dump a pile of cash on building a University full of smart people and pay them to come up with an idea that's not terrible.

And you don't need to pay for an inn ever- In Avalon the innkeeper will even be like "...Don't you want to sleep in your magnificent castle tho?"

The main, really big warning I'd give about this game is that, as it's a SaGa game, success depends on mastering some extremely vital mechanics that the game isn't all that interested in teaching you about, and properly building your skills and things isn't something you can really learn through trial and error in a reasonable amount of time (there are plenty of guides, use them). In total, though, the de-emphasis on character permanence plus a priority on base-building and long term planning to keep ahead of an enemy that gets stronger over time means that there's a lot in this game that doesn't feel like a typical JRPG and more resembles a kind of fantasy X-Com where your enemies are the Exalted.

I'll probably have much more to say once I've finished, but my last comment for now: Dantarg has no chill at all.

Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby myau56 » Mon Dec 18, '17, 12:01 pm

Currenty there are many 3DS games as I've commanded some of them lately but I'll start with Dragon Quest VII !
I haven't played it before on Playstation (and it was never released in Europe so...) it's the first time for me ! And the beginning is great ! :) I have only played three hours but they are great indeed ! Some people have tested or played it here ?
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Feb 25, '18, 3:40 am

The two games that are getting the most attention from me right now are Pokemon Silver and Ultra Sun.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Sun Feb 25, '18, 1:16 pm

I'm currently playing Dragon Ball Fusion ! On my beloved 3DS as alaways ! And it's the months tied to Deragon after DQVIII ! :lol: Maybe tied to the chinese New Year ? :rofl:
Great game it is !!!
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby MrKite » Tue Mar 6, '18, 2:48 am

Bunch of NES games I picked up since last month, including some sweet reproduction carts!:

Super 150 in 1
Ring King
Superman
Devil World
TMNT: Leonardo’s Legacy
Holy Diver
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby myau56 » Tue Mar 6, '18, 10:53 am

I'm also playing Demon's crest on Super Nintendo !:)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby LordKaiok » Fri Jun 8, '18, 6:43 am

Because I have game ADD, I am playing, in no particular order, FFIV, FFVI, SaGa Frontier (Red), Chrono Cross, PSIV (gf hasnt seen it so it's nice), Pokemon Volt Black 2, Pokemon Yellow, DotA 2, HotS, Eternal Card Game, DQIII. Send help
LordKaiok
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 21

Postby myau56 » Fri Jun 8, '18, 11:13 am

Currently playing again Phoenix Wright : Spirit of Justice ! As I've just bought a supplementary "quest" and I'm all through this still fantastic game ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby R-90-2 » Sat Jun 16, '18, 8:00 pm

Gone back to playing through Emerald Dragon for the fifth time. I've made my thoughts on the game abundantly clear already, but I just can't keep away.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby myau56 » Wed Jun 20, '18, 11:08 am

Currently playing Persona 4 The Golden on my VITA ! After the end of Phoenix Wright, Spirit of Justice, and after having played a lot on mùy 3DS, at last I've decided to play again on my vita, which has started to have dust on it ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming