What are you currently playing? Part 2

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Re: What are you currently playing? Part 2

Postby Hukos » Thu Mar 17, '16, 2:58 pm

Wolf Bird wrote:Because of its atmosphere, I may still try MM. My hope is that the atmosphere/setup may help mitigate the issues it inherited from OoT.

I honestly feel like the dungeon design in MM is light years ahead of what OoT was doing. Yeah there's only 4 dungeons but quality > quantity. One of the biggest issues I have with the zelda franchise is a lot of puzzles seem to boil down to "use every item you have in every room until something works" and some aren't really that intuitive. I feel like things the puzzles are just more enjoyable in MM, plus you don't have items that only use once in a dungeon and then never touch ever again.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Postby R-90-2 » Sat Mar 19, '16, 5:02 pm

Ys IV: Dawn of Ys.

Yeah, I know, I'm really reaching out to unknown areas.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Lemina » Sat Mar 19, '16, 5:21 pm

Trying out Crusader of Centy which I think Wolf Bird mentioned a while back.

I can't believe that I've never heard of this game in old magazine's "top 100" or anything. It's a lot of fun! But it does lack of lot of the programming finesse that Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past had. Missing the enemies BURNS.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Mar 19, '16, 10:28 pm

Yes, I have mentioned it. It is a game I happen to love. But it's also another one of those that I like to apply my "remove nostalgia glasses" experiment with. I love it, but I acknowledge that I have A) nostalgia and B) muscle memory to work with some of the gameplay issues. But even with that, generally I think it holds up alright, but with issues here and there. Time hasn't been totally kind to it, but it also hasn't made it its daily whipping boy.

I have the cartridge with the box and manual. Probably the second most valuable cartridge I own.

Edit: Been playing Velocity 2X on my Vita. I played Velocity Ultra a couple years back, and 2X made improvements and added generally well done platform sections, but also inherited some problems from its forebear and made them worse. In a fast-paced shoot'em up, I need flow. Keep things moving. Like the last game, near the end, it spikes difficulty by making the levels very complicated. Makes good use of some mechanics, but stabs any sense of flow in the hand with a knife, then gives the knife a twist by putting up progression walls and locks off the rest of the levels until you have enough points. Killed my interest, as the flow hit a rock and I don't feel like grinding. Was very good otherwise, but those design decisions just make me shake my head.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sat Mar 19, '16, 10:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Hukos » Sun Mar 20, '16, 6:29 am

More la-mulana. I've beaten the main game and I'm on the hell temple.

Nothing I have to say about the hell temple is at all positive and most of it involves some very choice language that's not exactly appropriate.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Postby Schala Zeal » Mon Mar 21, '16, 3:56 am

Along with Lemina, I'm trying out Crusader of Centy. I love the imagination to the game so far! Also still playing Fire Emblem Fates.
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby myau56 » Mon Mar 21, '16, 12:45 pm

Ah Ragnacen Ty in japanese or Soleil in France (as Sun) is a great game ! I finished it many years ago ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Hukos » Tue Mar 22, '16, 5:56 am

La-mulana. Again.

Hell temple is done.

I'm never doing that ever again and whoever made that place likes being a jerk.
Last edited by Hukos on Tue Mar 22, '16, 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Mar 29, '16, 6:33 pm

I tried out Metroid Prime Hunters the last few days, but I ultimately ended up putting it down, as I just started to get bored/annoyed with it. It did not deliver the atmosphere, the sense of exploration and level design that Metroid Prime did. Also, the first Metroid Prime had a useful map screen, so after you got a new weapon, you had a sense of where to go to access a new area. Metroid Prime Hunters' map was useless, so I ended up wandering around a lot trying to figure out where I could go next. I also glitched the game more than once and somehow ended up locked in an area with nowhere to go - extremely annoying, and did not help matters. Level design was also a lot more linear. Now, I get it was on DS and couldn't deliver something on par with the first Metroid Prime, and maybe when the DS launched it was quite an achievement, but trying to play it now...eh.

Also the controls could use some improvement, or at least some ability to customize them more. I did get used to the controls and found it usable, but it took some time. But I'm glad I did, as I understand Kid Icarus: Uprising uses a similar control scheme though offers more configuration options.

And then I started playing Earthbound on my 3DS.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Schala Zeal » Wed Mar 30, '16, 2:19 am

Still working on Fire Emblem. Also picked up Hyrule Warriors Legends, mostly to add to the Wii U version. =D
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming