What are you currently playing? Part 2

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Re: What are you currently playing? Part 2

Postby myau56 » Mon Jul 21, '14, 9:43 pm

Yes, I've played a lot of PSO and that is effectively more a hack'n'slash game than a MMO ! For sure :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Aeroprism » Tue Jul 22, '14, 12:13 am

Nitpicking: Hack and slash is a type of game. MMO is a term to define playerbase and group distribution. You can't compare one with the other. MMO means Massive Multiplayer in an Online world which implies a persistent world joined by massive amounts of players who can play together. There are MMO Shooters, MMO Roleplaying games, MMO Hack and Slash, MMO survival and so on.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Bragatyr » Tue Jul 22, '14, 2:43 am

I haven't played PSO, but Phantasy Star Zero did totally feel like Gauntlet Legends or something to me more than a typical MMO, so I totally get what myau is saying.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Aeroprism » Tue Jul 22, '14, 2:57 am

You are correct: They didn't feel like MMOs because they weren't MMOs. PSO and PS0 were "normal" online games. A PS MMO would have been neat, especially in the PSU setting with the guardian academy and all. Imagine landing on Parum not with three but with tens of your friends, battling huge bosses like the 40-man raids on WoW.

There were FAR too few decent sci-fi MMOs. All you see are WoW clones, swords, fireballs, orcs and elves. Meh.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby S4Blade » Tue Jul 22, '14, 6:09 am

We should get together and play an MMO some day. I would prefer playing a fantasy style game. It's a shame Phantasy Star Online 2 is not coming to the US, that would be a perfect solution.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Atlinsmere » Tue Jul 22, '14, 7:45 am

I agree. We should play an MMO sometime. Not sure which one though. I can generally play anything, though a fantasy style game I think would be best.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Prince Rhys 83 » Tue Jul 22, '14, 10:50 am

Phantasy Star Portable 2 seems to be the most recent online capable PS game released, and I think it's quite good. At first, the sharp increase in challenge shook me up, but after a short while I got used to it and when I got back to it, I beat the game in about a couple weeks. I just feel overall though that people are losing interest in Phantasy Star, because both PSPo2 and PSOBB communities are dwindling. Sucks because over 5 years ago I used to be really involved in the PSO community, sucks to see it like that. So nowadays I go online and meet cool people and exchange my partner cards and rant about Emilia and stuff. lol
Prince Rhys 83
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 27

Postby S4Blade » Wed Jul 23, '14, 12:40 am

Atlinsmere wrote:I agree. We should play an MMO sometime. Not sure which one though. I can generally play anything, though a fantasy style game I think would be best.

Cool, I'll send you a PM with a list of games that I would be interested in playing, and you can see if there are any you would be interested in. If anyone else is interested let me know.
Last edited by S4Blade on Wed Jul 23, '14, 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Jul 23, '14, 5:22 am

S4Blade wrote:Cool, I'll send you a PM with a list of games that I would be interested in playing, and you can see if there are any you would be interested in. If anyone else is interested let me know.

Sounds good. Can't wait!
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Jul 23, '14, 1:17 pm

Started replaying The Last of Us last night, thanks to it acting like an earw…I mean earfungus. Playing on hard difficulty now, as I originally beat it on normal, and while I was playing, I was downloading the Left Behind DLC in the background, which is what I really want. And as it should be all nice and installed now, that might be the next thing I tackle.

Normally when I play something, I don't start something new until I complete something else, but this time, I just got an itch for this specific game. Happens.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming