Gorilla killed ?

Companions of all kinds - furry, feathered, fishy and more!

Gorilla killed ?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon May 30, '16, 7:04 pm

Somehow a very young boy got into or fell into a Gorilla pit at the Cincinnati Zoo and the Gorilla was killed in a rescue attempt of the boy. While many are glad the boy seems to be doing okay, a lot of people are wondering should the Gorilla have been killed or should the authorities have just shot the Gorilla with a tranquilizer and knocked him out. What do you think should have happened?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/%e2%80 ... cid=AARDHP
Last edited by Silver_Surfer1 on Mon May 30, '16, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Gorilla killed ?

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue May 31, '16, 3:07 am

I'm sort of torn on this. I do think that the gorilla should not have been killed, if it was possible. It at least seemed to not have any aggressive intentions and any seeming aggression was because the crowd getting noisy was agitating/stressing the animal out. It's also a member of a VERY endangered species. That said, it takes a lot more tranquilizer to knock out an adult male gorilla than a human, and it may not have been able to act quickly enough to prevent harm to the boy. Also, gorillas are massively powerful animals and even if he did not intend harm, it would have been very easy for him to hurt or kill the boy accidentally. It's also easy to blame the parents and while they absolutely should have been more careful, on the flip side of the coin, they apparently had more than one kid at the zoo and it only takes a second for a kid to vanish from sight.

So yeah. I'm a bit torn on this. A very unfortunate situation no matter how I look at it.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to Amazing Animals