Weirdest anime?

Drawn or CGI, animated movies and shows fit well with the gaming crowd.

Weirdest anime?

Postby Thoul » Mon Dec 8, '08, 4:19 am

Some of you are anime fans, so what is the weirdest or most unusual anime you've come across?

To me, some of those that were running on US TV to promote games were pretty weird. Not stuff for card games, but those things that were promoting the games and toys that were just spinning tops. I don't recall the name, but it was strange to think that they'd get anyone to believe these little tops had monsters or spirits or whatever inside them.

Lately I saw some clips on Youtube of an anime that focuses on a kitten. It's not really weird, but I found that very unusual. Usually when I think of anime I think of character dramas or big action flicks or other things you'd see in a typical popcorn flick. This show was just a look at what a normal kitten's life might be like. Just unusual for anime in my limited experience.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Weirdest anime?

Postby Atlinsmere » Mon Dec 8, '08, 9:29 am

[quote="Thoul"]
To me, some of those that were running on US TV to promote games were pretty weird. Not stuff for card games, but those things that were promoting the games and toys that were just spinning tops. I don't recall the name, but it was strange to think that they'd get anyone to believe these little tops had monsters or spirits or whatever inside them.
[quote]

I remember that show. Beyblade "Let it rip!" Heh.

Well, for me I have watched quite a bit of strange anime. But the one that seems to stick out to me here is one called "Those Who Hunt Elves!" Basically, there were these people from Earth trying to get back home because they are in another world. The only way to get home is to go around stripping elvesto see if they have certain tattoos on them. (Don't worry Thoul, sounds kind of "mature" for the site, but really there is no real nudity or anything in the show.)

I have also watched an anime which is hard to follow unless you watch the episodes in order. I'm sure Kaloes knows what I'm talking about when I say .hack//sign was an anime that could be hard to follow unless you put two and two together.

I'll think more to expand to this list later.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Dec 9, '08, 6:54 am

Fooly cooly. If thats even how you spell it. That show makes no sense. The manga is almost more confusing. And if you miss one bit of it, you lose whatever place you had.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Celeith » Fri Dec 12, '08, 1:48 am

School Days!

Just watch the ending to it will make you think WTH?!
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Sun Jun 21, '09, 4:09 pm

I think the weirdest one was Revolutionary Girl Utena. But good lord I still love it :D
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Re:

Postby Tweeg » Mon Jun 22, '09, 6:05 am

SparkyIII wrote:Fooly cooly. If thats even how you spell it. That show makes no sense. The manga is almost more confusing. And if you miss one bit of it, you lose whatever place you had.

It's spelled FLCL. :lol:

Excel Saga has got to the "weirdest" anime I'v yet seen. It tries to spoof and parody just about everything under the sun and makes very little sense in doing so.

I love the Revolutionary Girl Utena series too, it's awesome! But the movie on the other hand, now that was unquestionably pure weirdness.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Re: Re:

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Mon Jun 22, '09, 9:38 am

Tweeg wrote:I love the Revolutionary Girl Utena series too, it's awesome! But the movie on the other hand, now that was unquestionably pure weirdness.

That was just off the wall. I never got the whole car scene in that film. And I tried using the film to peice together what happened to the characters in the anime and...failed XD

I really need to read the manga but I hear the Manga is just as strange. @_@
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed Jun 24, '09, 2:25 am

I looooooove anime. The majority of it is weird.

But the weirdest? Hmm.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is a bit weird, but fascinating. If card cames are your thing, this anime's your cuppa tea. The hairstyles are wild, and there's an ancient Egypt theme to it.

Bleach is an eccentric anime, but awesomely so; it's my favorite anime. The focus of it is hollows (a term for ghosts), and the majority of these hollows are believed to be baddies who eat up souls. But, there are some exceptions to the generalization that all are baddies, and this is what makes the show progressively so interesting. I also think what's interesting about Bleach in particular is the Japanese fascination with death, ghosts, and the shinigami (death gods). The shinigami in this anime series are the "good guys"; and you really can't tell the difference physically between a shinigami and a human. But, whatever, the series rocks.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Wed Jun 24, '09, 5:38 am

If you liked Yu-Gi-Oh, take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/user/CardGamesFTW
It's an abridged series done by Little Kuriboh which parody's the series. And it's incredibly funny. People from ages 12-30 like this show. I found it late last year thanks to a friend of mine.

I've never seen Bleach, but I know it has a large following.
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Darkil » Wed Jun 24, '09, 2:12 pm

I think the strangest one to date would have to be Shin Chan [if you can call it an anime]. I don't know if there even is a plot and the animation is horrible [probably done purposefully but I digress].

Of course Pokemon was always one that was entertaining but odd. Then again it was, and still is, wildly popular so it couldn't have been too off the wall..
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Next

Return to Awesome Animation