Weird Critters

Companions of all kinds - furry, feathered, fishy and more!

Weird Critters

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jun 13, '07, 8:22 pm

We already have one thread for Pets, so this thread will be for those "weird" or "unusual" critters that we hear about so often.

I heard on the news this morning that some folks (maybe in PA or CT, but not sure) have found a rare blue lobster. They had a picture of it on the news. It is blue in color and was quite pretty.

Also, has anyone heard about the place where they recently found all the new and different species of animals never seen before. They found a purple frog!

Amazing!!!!!! :blank: :eyebrow: :dizzy:
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Neithird » Fri Jun 15, '07, 2:36 pm

Wow, those are really unusual! I guess it just goes to show how much there is about life on Earth that we still don't know. New discoveries are out there, just waiting for us to find them.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Re: Weird Critters

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Jul 1, '07, 2:30 am

Today I saw another different animal type talked about on CNN. It looked like a zebra but it only had stripes on one side and the other side was plain white in some areas. I didn't pay attention to what all was said about it but it looked half zebra/half unzebra. Wild. :eyebrow: Anyone else see this one??
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Tsunami » Mon Jul 2, '07, 5:18 am

I saw it, though I'll never understand why people are into cross-breeding animals. Besides, most things that are hybrids aren't able to reproduce, right?

Though I must say, that was very odd... Looked like someone botched a white horse and a zebra. Didn't look natural.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Mon Jul 2, '07, 7:03 pm

Yeah, most hybrids aren't capable of reproducing. I guess people do it just to say they've done it.

I heard something weird this weekend. It's not really an animal, but some scientists have completely replaced a bacteria's genetic code, transforming it into a different kind of bacteria. That's kind of scary... I wonder how long it will be until they try the same thing with animals.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jul 10, '07, 10:26 pm

I agree with you Tsunami, I just don't get why people want to do things like this. Leave the animals alone. It's terrible to do this stuff in my opinion.

Thoul, that is scary with the bacteria stuff you mentioned. That conjures up all sorts of horrible things that could go wrong with illnesses, etc. Certainly sounds like something not to mess with.

Here's something I saw a bit of this morning on the MSN site. Supposedly there was a kitten born with 7 toes on the day 7-07-07. Wow, what a coincidence that was!

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Tsunami » Wed Jul 11, '07, 3:26 am

Secret_Surfer wrote:Thoul, that is scary with the bacteria stuff you mentioned. That conjures up all sorts of horrible things that could go wrong with illnesses, etc. Certainly sounds like something not to mess with.

Now, this reminds me of a program I saw on TV that was discussing the US government's little biological warfare program that they had tried to keep under wraps, where they'd test out uncontrolable bio weapons on animals and such... Fortunately, (and hopefully) none of that is going on right now...scary stuff.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Thu Jul 12, '07, 10:05 pm

That sounds like some nasty stuff. Hopefully they'll never do something like that again.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jul 13, '07, 2:08 am

Saw another item related to animals and 7-07-07 today. It's not too weird but still it gives you something to think about. I think the animal was a goat or a horse or something like that, but anyway it was born on 7-07-07 and it was almost solid black except for it's forehead and nose which had a big white spot on it exactly in the shape of a " 7 ". They named it Lucky 7, I think. That's kind of a "weird" coincidence, I think. :blank:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Sep 26, '07, 6:49 pm

This is a very interesting news item. Eleven (11) new species of plants and animals have been discovered in Vietnam, including a snake, butterflies, orchids, and plants. Here's a link to read more:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070926/ap_ ... _species_1

And, here's another item about the discovery of a rare albino ratfish. I didn't even know there was a "ratfish", let alone an albino one. I guess you learn something new everyday. :reading:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070924/ap_ ... KaDTNxieAA

Silver_Surfer1

Next

Return to Amazing Animals