Weather today

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Re: Weather today

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Nov 6, '14, 1:54 am

Very nice day today...warm, nearly 70, a bit cloudy at times but overall a super day!! Rain coming in tomorrow and colder temps following that. Some places are already having snow and a lot of it...brrrr!! Not ready for that just yet.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Nov 19, '14, 1:49 am

COLD weather here today. Temps did not even get above freezing. We still have it much better than some places where I saw on the news they are covered in snow. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas and we haven't even had Thanksgiving here in the USA yet.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Nov 19, '14, 3:31 pm

The snowed in areas are a lot of places prone to lake effect snow, which happens when cold air moves over warm lake waters. Very common this time of year, when the lakes aren't frozen over but cold air from Canada moves south. But this current event is extraordinary by sheer volume and how early in the season it is. It is quite bad in those areas.

Cold here too. We may get snow later this week.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Wed Nov 19, '14, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Zio_Falz » Thu Nov 20, '14, 3:38 am

freezing here.....between lake erie and ontario.
climatrol has seriously malfunctioned.
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Postby Tanith » Fri Nov 21, '14, 4:41 pm

We've had rain the past three days! :happy_marle: There's a mild chance of more rain today and a much better chance of rain tomorrow. We have needed rain for so, so long. The temps are in the 60s and 70s, as usual, but it's been dipping into the 50s and 40s at night. That's about as "winter" as coastal California gets.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Zio_Falz » Sat Nov 22, '14, 8:43 pm

today is the first day above 0C here in Buffalo NY.
Climatrol appears to be functioning.
Or perhaps the satellites are aligned with the moon tear.
Or the Garuberk Tower is gone.
Either way, it was much too premature for heavy snow just yet.
February weather in November, makes me shudder.
Tomorrow a high of 10C; Monday high of 14!
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Nov 22, '14, 8:50 pm

Buffalo? Yikes! How much snow did you get from that lake effect storm, Zio_Falz? I heard some areas got 6+ feet, which is more snow than I am tall!

Here in the Boston metro area it's nothing special . No snow or precipitation to speak of, mid 40s and supposed to get to 60 and raining by Monday.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Zio_Falz » Sat Nov 22, '14, 9:41 pm

six feet is about accurate, with less snowfall in the regions north of buffalo going to lake ontario.

its alot, and can paralyze the city, but they do have a surprising effecient contingency plan in place to deal with snowfall.

if it was 1 or 2 feet, the city wouldnt even be affected. which to me is interesting, as i have lived in other places like Texas, where even after 1 inch, most things would be shut down, flights cancelled, etc.

my only complaint is that it is far too soon for this weather.
its usual weather, at an unusual time of year.
Halloween was only 20 days ago.
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Nov 22, '14, 11:02 pm

Hope you and the city are doing alright then, especially if the city's equipped to deal with it. I grew up in lake effect snow country, so I have a sense of what sudden, massive snow events can be like, but I never recall more than about 2, maybe 3, feet at once. It's good that these places where these events are expected, they're prepared for them, even when they happen outside the boundaries of what's usual. But 6 feet of snow is a lot no matter how you cut it, though, but it's good that Buffalo is well equipped to cope and get back up and running as fast as possible. Preparedness matters a lot.

I remember back in February 2013 when Nemo came through here and we got 2 1/2 feet of snow overnight, the entire state of Massachusetts basically shut down the day prior. Driving bans, the MBTA stopped service before the storm, emergency crews were deployed statewide before the first flake fell. Because of that, within two days most of the state was in shape to continue business as usual, with the exception of the worst hit areas south of Boston and on Cape Cod, if I recall correctly. But being prepared no doubt shortened how long the state was paralyzed, and I feel the same applies to lake effect country where huge amounts of snow can fall without much warning.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sat Nov 22, '14, 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wolf Bird

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Nov 24, '14, 12:08 am

Rain, and more rain here today. It has been a good day for indoor activities. will turn colder after this rain. It was actually pretty nice and warm before it started raining.

Silver_Surfer1

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation