Was Myau unique?

Quest for justice and vengeance with the beginning of the saga.

Was Myau unique?

Postby Thoul » Fri Aug 24, '07, 5:34 pm

In a few sources I've read, it is claimed that Myau was unusually intelligent for a Musk Cat. They say that the other Musk Cats of the time didn't have his ability to speak. Do you think this is true, or that all Musk Cats had such abilities? PSII and PSIV both show other Musk Cats capable of speech, but Myau is the only one around in PSI.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Divine Dragon » Fri Aug 24, '07, 7:21 pm

Perhaps Myau spawned the more intelligent ones we see in PSII and PSIV?
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby Tsunami » Fri Aug 24, '07, 11:42 pm

I think DD hit the nail on the head. :D However, being the only Musk Cat of his time, (no others are seen) we don't really have any comparisons.

EDIT: Was any explanation given on how all the other Musk Cats turned up? Thought I'd throw that question in there. :p
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby The $ Avenger » Sat Aug 25, '07, 4:23 am

Weren't they pets left behind in PSII? I think I remember one of the newspapers in Skure indicating such a thing. Either musk cats in general are rare or the talking variety is seeming as the guy in PSI wants a billion (or was it a million, I feel like Dr. Evil here,) meseta for him. Though Dr. Mad evidently kills them as quickly as he can. It's a good question. Perhaps Myau did spawn the talking ones.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Sun Aug 26, '07, 10:51 pm

Yeah, the cats in PSII were pets. I don't recall if it was one of the cats or one of the newspapers that said that, but it was definitely one or the other.

Either musk cats in general are rare or the talking variety is seeming as the guy in PSI wants a billion (or was it a million, I feel like Dr. Evil here,) meseta for him.

One of the townspeople, in Scion I think, does saying something about selling a talking beast to the shopkeeper. So it could be that his ability to talk was unusual (or musk cats just didn't talk to people much).

IIRC, all the cats in PSII could talk, but you couldn't understand them without the magic cap. Or maybe the mogic cap, I forget which.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Aug 27, '07, 1:15 am

Thoul wrote:IIRC, all the cats in PSII could talk, but you couldn't understand them without the magic cap. Or maybe the mogic cap, I forget which.
I think it was the magic cap; it was the inversion of being able to talk to the Dezorians. I think the mogic cap made the musk cats lie. Anyway, I think you're right, musk cats either didn't talk much to humans or it was rare for one to be able to speak at all.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Thoul » Wed Aug 29, '07, 3:27 am

All this makes me wonder: how do you think the cats in PSIV learned to speak in the human tongue? It doesn't seem like they would have had much human contact, living alone in that far away valley. We know their ancestors in PSII weren't able to do it without the help of those caps, but there are no caps like that in PSIV.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Shinuzzo » Wed Aug 29, '07, 3:38 am

Well, I'm guessing the musk cats probably lived in one of the towns on Dezo for a while at some point.
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 25

Postby The $ Avenger » Thu Aug 30, '07, 1:43 am

Thoul wrote:All this makes me wonder: how do you think the cats in PSIV learned to speak in the human tongue? It doesn't seem like they would have had much human contact, living alone in that far away valley. We know their ancestors in PSII weren't able to do it without the help of those caps, but there are no caps like that in PSIV.
:idea: That's an excellent observation. I don't see why they'd learn to speak between PSII and PSIV.... ditto for the Dezorians. Considering there's practically zero space travel between those games, I guess the Espers would have to have taught them all how to speak to humans, unless that's really Myau in the Mysterious Valley; he could've taught the other cats. Speaking of which, if that's Myau, why did he choose to settle on Dezoris of all places?
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Thoul » Thu Aug 30, '07, 8:48 am

Maybe Myau decided to tag along with Noah/Lutz, when the latter went into hiding on Dezoris. I suppose he might have also been rescued along with the Palmans Tyler took to Dezoris after PSII.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Phantasy Star