Was Mother Brain a religious figure?

Discover the secret of Mother Brain's technological advanced world.

Postby Cervantez » Sun Dec 30, '07, 9:19 pm

I found the theory mentioned in my last post, thanks Thoul it was in camineet.net :)

Link: http://www.camineet.net/camineet/theories/true-message-ps2.asp
Cervantez
Newcomer
Newcomer

Achievements: 1

Postby SparkyIII » Mon Dec 31, '07, 12:20 am

Wow, thats quite a detailed speech there.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby BroWren » Mon Dec 31, '07, 7:54 pm

Cervantez wrote:I found the theory mentioned in my last post, thanks Thoul it was in camineet.net :)

Link: http://www.camineet.net/camineet/theories/true-message-ps2.asp

Ugh, every time I read that thing it just gets more and more wrong. How on earth does Mother Brain equal distributed authority? The entire point of PS2 (at least IMNSHO) is that people traded their autonomy away to a centralized power - Mother Brain - and in doing so became weak and lazy. It's absolutely about dependence on technology, but more about dependence on central authority. A more apt comparison would be to the Bush administration. :P

Anyway, it's well known that Mike is a neoconservative and has an intense personal dislike of communism, and also has a tendency to latch on to the three or four items that he thinks "prove" his particular take on something and ignore everything else. He's just cherrypicking issues from the game without considering the larger picture.

On the original question - Mother Brain very much *was* a God to the people of Algo, wasn't she? Controlling every aspect of the environment, with an army of machines at her disposal to enforce her will, with the "good" people being given every comfort of life for nothing while her enemies are constantly attacked? I could pretty easily see the more simpleminded people falling into a position of worship, all that considered. It's not all that different from what a real God would be like.
BroWren
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Mon Dec 31, '07, 11:09 pm

In the case of PSII, the technology and central authority happen to be same thing, so I think the line of the game's moral story becomes very blurred there. I would say it's more about dependence on technology as a central authority, rather than just dependence on technology.

I think that Mother Brain might have seen herself as a god as well. What's those lines she says when talking to the party? Something like "Algo is my child" and "I'll take Algo by the hand and lead it to destruction"? I suppose it could just be a play on the "Mother" part of the name, but then that name aspect can have goddess implications as well (as in Mother Nature, for example).
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Jan 1, '08, 4:38 am

Its an old game, people didn't care about the story so much back then, so they made it unclear. XDDDDDD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Postby newsblade » Thu Jan 31, '08, 1:31 am

«I wonder what this is a statue of...» (PS4, Chaz)
I also wondered who she was, but now that I found this topic I'm positive it is Mother Brain. Those statues are very similar to the woman in PS2 intro (even their dresses look the same):
As you know the image represents the two sides of mother brain:
- The right side is saying: «I am like a mother protecting her child.»
- and the wrong (left side) «And now I will take my child, Algo, by the hand and lead it down the path of destruction.»

Note: In PS2 we see only this "2" figures and in PS4 we see only 4 (4 statues in zema*).

Those statues represent the keeper/owner of "the sacred area" - the one who gives life/birth - a mother goddess:
«Hmm, 'The Sacred Area of Life'... Why is it called that, and why is it worshipped in that way?»
«It's because we've violated the sacred area that something like this is happening!!»

As we can see... that statue represents a goddess! (They worship it and may even don’t know who she is)
So... if Mother Brain's "religion" somewhat persisted until PSIV (the only religion in Motabia besides Zio -kadary- and Alisa -termi-) - there's no doubt she is a religious symbol in PS2.
--
* - The town in PS2 that was near a biodome (seed?) and nei1st tower. (in PSIV was the town that had problems with "Daughter")
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Thoul » Thu Jan 31, '08, 8:23 pm

I don't see much similarity between the statues and Mother Brain. It does make sense for Mother Brain to be the goddess worshiped there, though, given how much the people of PSII relied on her to survive.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby newsblade » Thu Jan 31, '08, 8:43 pm

lol. maybe I'm dreaming

that woman also had 4 arms and in PS2 intro has only two. It could be just a representation (like in that intro) since they never saw her.
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby hugues » Thu Jan 31, '08, 10:51 pm

newsblade wrote: that woman also had 4 arms and in PS2 intro has only two. It could be just a representation (like in that intro) since they never saw her.

It's either a representation or a disconnect between whoever did the title screen and whoever did the Mother Brain graphics. My guess is the women on the title screen and Mother Brain were modeled after the same sketch but the artists took different angles on her.

The box art for PSII has a literal brain drawn on the front :o whoever did that must have been using the Metroid interpretation of "Mother Brain".
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby SparkyIII » Thu Jan 31, '08, 11:08 pm

Some kind of horrible translation error again? Like Lutz knowing Chaz, or All your base? lol

SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Phantasy Star II