Page 1 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 3, '07, 11:26 pm 
During Phantasy Star II, you can come across a lot of people who talk about how great Mother Brain is supposed to be. She provides everything, no one has to work, and so on. One person even refuses to believe that she is capable of making mistakes.

I've always thought that PSII completely did away with the presence of religion in Algo, creating a more secular society. However, taking those NPCs into account makes me wonder if the old religion may have just been replaced with a new religion where Mother Brain is worshiped as a deity. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 3, '07, 11:35 pm 
That would definately make sense, considering if everyone is so unified on the subject you wouldn't notice if it was supposed to be like that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 4, '07, 12:50 am 
Thoul wrote:I've always thought that PSII completely did away with the presence of religion in Algo, creating a more secular society. However, taking those NPCs into account makes me wonder if the old religion may have just been replaced with a new religion where Mother Brain is worshiped as a deity. What do you think?

You mean like North Korea? Religion has been more or less replaced with a cult-like worship of a leader who they're told controls every aspect of their lives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 4, '07, 1:01 am 
That's a perfect real world parallel. :proposetoast:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 4, '07, 4:31 am 
Well, there's still the Espers and Dezorians who pretty much ignored or hated Mother Brain. As far as Motavia goes, I doubt there's any organzied religion but there might be some people that practice their faith in private.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 4, '07, 6:20 am 
lol the eclipse torch was the dezo religion. XDDD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 5, '07, 10:05 pm 
I never looked at Mother Brain's control as a religion or cult, but it does flow well from the story. It explains why there is no religion present in PSIV aside from Zio, too. The "goddess" is dead so they have nothing to worship.

I think the original PS1 religion must have survived on Palma, even if it wasn't shown on Motavia. There are priests on the Alisa III, so they must have carried it on somehow, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 6, '07, 12:27 am 
Neithird wrote:I think the original PS1 religion must have survived on Palma, even if it wasn't shown on Motavia. There are priests on the Alisa III, so they must have carried it on somehow, right?
I think that Orakio and Laya served as figures of worship, as I get that feeling from people mentioning Orakio and Laya in such ways...

Like these quotes from the beginning of the game:
"Trust in Orakio! He can protect you from Layans."
"May Orakio protect you from Laya!"

Or a quote from an NPC in Rysel, the first town you see in Aquatica:
"Some people across the sea worship Laya."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 6, '07, 3:42 am 
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Orakio and Laya being revered like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 6, '07, 10:37 pm 
It's still possible that the original religion might have survived somehow. The PSIII priests have crosses around, IIRC, just as the ones in PSI did. The Orakio and Laya religion could be mixed with the PSI religion.

Page 1 of 4  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next