Anime

Drawn or CGI, animated movies and shows fit well with the gaming crowd.

Anime

Postby Thoul » Mon Nov 5, '07, 5:55 pm

I've seen several mentions of anime in the introductions topics, so if you like anime, what are some of your favorites?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Mon Nov 5, '07, 9:04 pm

I do like quite a few, but some aren't kid-friendly due to extreme violence, gore, etc., so I won't be listing those! ;) So, because of that, it's hard for me to make a list. I dislike leaving some out, but it has to be this way if I wish to follow the rules! :D

As for others I like:
Rurouni Kenshin
Cowboy Bebop
MÄR (Marchen Awaken Romance)
Tenchi Muyo!
Tenchi Universe
Rave Master (this one was kinda weird, but not bad)
Wolf's Rain
Elfen Lied
Karin
Death Note
Monster Rancher
Outlaw Star
Fullmetal Alchemist
Naruto (this one's so-so; not bad, though)
InuYasha (it was good up to a point, then it became very repetitive)

There's more, but as I stated before, can't list 'em!

Many of these, I was introduced to through Toonami (years ago when Toonami was still good, mind you) or Adult Swim on Cartoon Network. Others, I'd find out about them online and I'd try watching an episode or two to see if it was any good. And, of course, there's recommendations made by friends every now and then.

I think Monster Rancher would be the sole exception for anything, since I saw that on during the morning on another channel...I think ABC Family? Not too sure on that one.

EDIT: Added some more anime I like! (and some I had forgotten about)
Last edited by Tsunami on Mon Nov 5, '07, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Mon Nov 5, '07, 9:43 pm

Tsunami wrote:I do like quite a few, but some aren't kid-friendly due to extreme violence, gore, etc., so I won't be listing those! ;) So, because of that, it's hard for me to make a list. I dislike leaving some out, but it has to be this way if I wish to follow the rules! :D

Listing their names would be okay. As long as there's no explicit descriptions, screencaps or videos of the excessive scenes in the show, it's fine.

Many of these, I was introduced to through Toonami (years ago when Toonami was still good, mind you)

Ah, those were the days. I miss good Toonami. Like you, most of the anime I've seen has been on television, with a good chunk of it being on Toonami.

I think Monster Rancher would be the sole exception for anything, since I saw that on during the morning on another channel...I think ABC Family? Not too sure on that one.

Yeah, it was on the Family channel. I think it was Fox Family back then, or maybe just Family. That was a long, long time ago wasn't it? Now I feel old. :p

I never got too see very much of Monster Rancher, but what I did was very enjoyable. It almost made me want to try the games.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tsunami » Mon Nov 5, '07, 10:25 pm

Thoul wrote:
Tsunami wrote:I do like quite a few, but some aren't kid-friendly due to extreme violence, gore, etc., so I won't be listing those! ;) So, because of that, it's hard for me to make a list. I dislike leaving some out, but it has to be this way if I wish to follow the rules! :D

Listing their names would be okay. As long as there's no explicit descriptions, screencaps or videos of the excessive scenes in the show, it's fine.
Alright, I had just figured better safe than sorry. :lol:

Many of these, I was introduced to through Toonami (years ago when Toonami was still good, mind you)

Ah, those were the days. I miss good Toonami. Like you, most of the anime I've seen has been on television, with a good chunk of it being on Toonami.
Good ol' Toonami! It's not as good as it used to be, unfortunately.

I never got too see very much of Monster Rancher, but what I did was very enjoyable. It almost made me want to try the games.
I remember watching it, but I think they didn't show the entire thing on TV and just took it off the air -- I was disappointed, too.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Mon Nov 5, '07, 10:50 pm

Oh, they didn't even finish it? Well, that's even worse than I remember. I thought I just missed half the airings.

It's sad what they've done to Toonami. I used to tune in every day for it, back when they had classic action shows and anime every weekday and weekends. Now it's only Saturday night and they've even cut that down by an extra two hours.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Nov 6, '07, 12:52 am

I've always thought of Phantasy Star as an anime, In 4 they use the exact same little bubbles and funny remarks, plus its Japanese.

My favorite has always been FMA, but I don't watch it anymore, now I'm stuck with Naruto, though its getting more exciting.
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Tsunami » Tue Nov 6, '07, 2:52 am

Thoul wrote:Oh, they didn't even finish it? Well, that's even worse than I remember. I thought I just missed half the airings.
It really is a shame. I never got to see how it ended! :cry:

It's sad what they've done to Toonami. I used to tune in every day for it, back when they had classic action shows and anime every weekday and weekends. Now it's only Saturday night and they've even cut that down by an extra two hours.
I used to do the same. Then they moved it to weekends. Then they got rid of most of the shows that were good! At least they're not showing DBZ so much anymore...well, from when I last checked, anyways (which was some time ago).
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Nov 6, '07, 5:09 am

DBZ is on late Saturday now.

I used to come home, do my homework, then sit and watch sailor moon every day. Too bad, now when I go watch that show, I wonder how it ever got into me. XD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Tsunami » Tue Nov 6, '07, 5:29 am

SparkyIII wrote:DBZ is on late Saturday now.
It is? I don't really find it surprising that it's still around, but...I wonder what it is that keeps people interested. It was good to a point, but after the Frieza Saga, it went downhill, in my opinion. It's just repetitive.

- New enemy appears.
- They confront the enemy, only to get their butts thoroughly kicked.
- They then undergo training in hopes to surpass the new threat in strength.
- They fight the enemy again, get beat up, but stand a better chance.
- They do even more training.
- They fight the enemy again, but everyone dies except for Goku, who ends up winning in the end.
- Since everyone is dead, they bring them back with Dragon Balls.
- It's peaceful for a time, until another enemy appears to repeat this vicious cycle.

I used to come home, do my homework, then sit and watch sailor moon every day. Too bad, now when I go watch that show, I wonder how it ever got into me. XD
I used to watch that! But now, I can't say I care for it so much. D:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 6, '07, 5:32 am

For a while they had dropped DBZ entirely. I think they brought it back just as a ploy to push a recent DVD release.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Awesome Animation