Voice acting or reading?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Postby Neithird » Tue Oct 16, '07, 2:57 am

I like voice acting better than reading. Sometimes it's hard to understand and on those I'm glad for subtitles. Bad voice acting it's much worse than the bad English some of the older games had. Remember things like "all your base are belong to us"? At least nowadays, most games have gotten past that.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Tue Oct 16, '07, 6:15 am

Hm, I guess the worst thing would be a game with bad voice acting and terrible English in the subtitles. Does anyone know of one like that?

Are there any games that you think would benefit from the addition of voice acting?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Heikabuchi » Fri Nov 16, '07, 7:52 am

In games like Phantasy Star, I think voice acting would have ruined a lot of the imagination that is put into the characters. I could see the importance of voice acting for less involved RPGs or first person shooters especialy with the latter genre.
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby SparkyIII » Fri Nov 16, '07, 6:28 pm

I dislike the games that have both, and you can read while they speak, the only problem with the games I'm referring to is the speech is almost completely different than the text on the screen so you can't follow along you get lost and then you have no clue whats happening when they go back to it.

Speech: "MMMMRRRRRFPFFFMMMMPHHHHSFSSSFFF"
Text: "I'm not the one that you are looking for."
Thanks to the magic of subtitles, we know exactly what they're saying.
I think I like the text better. Speech is a good "Cool they have voices" But if its important you don't want to miss what they're trying to tell you because of the sound of their voice.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Neithird » Fri Nov 16, '07, 6:37 pm

Yeah, I hate when I miss something because the voices aren't understandable. In cases like that, I'm glad to the for the subtitles.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Previous

Return to Tech and Design