Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best Monster Design
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, '07, 2:15 am 
Which game do you think had the best overall designs for the various enemies in the game?

For this, I have to go with the original, Phantasy Star I. The later games were impressive in this area, but I think the mythical style of the monsters is really something different. There are a lot of mythical monsters in video games, but PSI had a unique take on a lot of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, '07, 2:45 am 
I think it's a toss-up between Phantasy Star I and II - they were both revolutionary for their time. Compare the original Phantasy Star to Final Fantasy (or anything else from that era) and it's not even close. Over on the 16-bit side, it was a long time before anything rivaled what Phantasy Star II did in terms of monster design.

I guess I'd have to give a slight nudge to the original though because it was so far beyond what other 8-bit games did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, '07, 5:52 am 
I think, of the 3 I've played PS3 has the best designs, PS4 had good ones with probably a lot higher quality, but they weren't as creative. PS2 had some really boring designs in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, '07, 1:10 pm 
PSIII's enemies are very memorable and interesting, in my opinion. So of the four games, I'd say that PSIII would be my pick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, '07, 9:09 pm 
I'm staying true to PS4. It was a step up from PSIII as far as attack animations. It was revolutionary in the way that the monsters could combine themselves into somthing stronger. (ex: Infant worm > Sandworm.) Although I will definatly give props to PSIII for it's increadible sprite design. The sprites were truly advanced for their time. I even refer back to them quite often for guidlines in my own work. =]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, '07, 6:07 pm 
I would say PS3 had the best designs for the monsters, but the worst animations for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, '07, 8:29 pm 
I say PS1. Like hugues said, it was far beyond other 8-bit games at the time and I also liked the fantasy and sci-fi elements used in the designs.

Heikabuchi wrote:It was revolutionary in the way that the monsters could combine themselves into somthing stronger. (ex: Infant worm > Sandworm.)

That was cool. It made a lot of fights more challenging when monsters combined. I wish more games used that idea.

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]