Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sci-Fi & Fantasy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, '07, 9:52 pm 
The Phantasy Star games are often credited as being an excellent blend of science fiction and fantasy elements. Do you agree with that or would you say the games are more of one or the other?

Last edited by Thoul on Tue Nov 13, '07, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, '07, 11:30 pm 
They seem more like creative science fiction if you ask me. Sure, there are fantasy elements, but I had the best "fantasy" feel in PSIII. But yeah, they all do have a good mix of the two in some form, though I think the others in the series lean more towards the science fiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, '07, 6:15 am 
I like to think them more of phantasy. They still use knives and swords and those things after all, even with these technologies. But I can't be sure really, its like they all are a different type, ya know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, '07, 1:59 am 
I agree that some of the games are much more science fiction. Especially PSII, with all that technology. I always got the strongest fantasy feeling from PSI. I guess the Greek myth connections and the typical fantasy style monsters are a big part of that. PSII really dropped nearly all of it, but PSIII brought a lot of it back, but that turned out to be very science based at the end. Then PSIV has a strong science fiction leaning too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, '07, 2:25 am 
To be quite honest, I think Phantasy Star takes the Fantasy that you see in Star Wars and the Sci-Fi you seen in Star Trek, and merges the two into a gorgeous, perfect blend. I haven't seen any other game or movie blend the two quite so well. They act like it's no big deal to see a parade of robots in the middle of people that use swords and knives for combat weapons. The big spaceport in the middle of the desert? Yeah, it's always been there.

Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi & Fantasy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 5, '10, 5:54 pm 
I'd say PSI and PSIII lean the most toward fantasy. PSIII does become very sci-fi in Ayn's quest, but Rhys' and Nial's quests are very fantasy-oriented. The final generations seem to balance it out fairly well. PSI does have more futuristic-looking towns than PSIII, though. And like stated above, the presence of dragons and medusa kind of strengthens the fantasy feeling. PSII does appear to be very sci-fi, while PSIV is moreso than PSI and PSIII, but less than PSII.

Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi & Fantasy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 5, '10, 8:35 pm 
PSI- Science Fantasy
PSII- Sci-Fi (fairly hard sci-fi, too, except for the Dezo dungeons)
PSIII- Space Opera
PSIV- soft Sci-Fi (SSF)

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]