Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 

Alis Landale

Alis Landale

View Gallery Page

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, '11, 12:01 am 
This is the artwork used to introduce Alis Landale to players of Phantasy Star Gaiden in that game's manual. The design here is clearly based on the Phantasy Star look of the heroine. Players of the game at that time were no doubt very surprised to find that her in-game visuals were very different from the familiar visage presented by this. I wonder if the artist knew she would undergo such drastic changes in the story.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, '11, 1:58 pm 
Quite impressive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, '11, 7:22 pm 
Thoul wrote:Players of the game at that time were no doubt very surprised to find that her in-game visuals were very different from the familiar visage presented by this. I wonder if the artist knew she would undergo such drastic changes in the story.

Like in PSII, there must have been two different artists (one put Nei with a tail). In this case (Gaiden) the artist who made the manual knew about Phantasy Star, but the in-game artist knew nothing about it. Even Aleck and Minina are better on the manual. One of the biggest problems in this game was precisely the in-game visuals. Besides that, I don't see any drastic change in history.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, '11, 12:19 am 
Uh, I like the pic and all but something in it just doesn't seem right to me. :yaknow:

Maybe it's just me, but it almost looks like she isn't wearing any underwear or panties or whatever you want to call them. I think it's because the color of her legs seem to blend in with that part of her outfit making it seem to all run together, or not stand apart, or something. That part of her outfit would look much better, and stand apart, done in a color matching her upper clothes or outfit, imho.

The upper torso or part of her is totally awesome! Love the colors there.

JMHO. :p

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, '11, 8:05 pm 
Silver_Surfer1 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but it almost looks like she isn't wearing any underwear or panties or whatever you want to call them.

She's actually wearing pants. ;) Aside from her face and arms, she's fully covered. I agree the coloring is not the best on her legs; the yellow doesn't match the rest well and is too easy to mistake for flesh at first glance.

newsblade wrote:Like in PSII, there must have been two different artists (one put Nei with a tail). In this case (Gaiden) the artist who made the manual knew about Phantasy Star, but the in-game artist knew nothing about it.

I remember reading somewhere that a person had the impression Gaiden was made as a standalone game, with the Phantasy Star references added in later. Things like this make me wonder if that was correct. The manual's representations of the in-game monsters is almost spot on, but it is so different with the characters.

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]