Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Maintenance
PostPosted: Thu Jan 6, '11, 9:19 pm 
I have completed some maintenance on the site today, bringing the community software up to the latest version. I have also installed a second language pack for the software.

The new language pack is British English. It isn't much different from the US English we've been using until now. There are a few spelling changes like "colour" instead of "color." This language pack can be selected from the Board Preferences page of the User Control Panel (linked at the top of every page, formerly called Member Control Panel). I hope to install a few more language packs - notably French and Brazilian Portuguese - in the coming weeks.

Some of the changes are designed to speed up page loading and reduce the bandwidth the site uses, so hopefully we will get some long term bonuses in that area. In many places around the site, the term "member" has been replaced by the software's default term "user." I'm not too fond of that one, but it will make future maintenance of the additional language packs easier.

You should notice no other major differences; this is mostly an internal update for security improvements and minor bug fixes. It has been a very extensive update, however, so there is a possibility that something may be broken and I haven't yet noticed. If you encounter any problems with site features not working correctly, please let me know so I can look into correcting those issues.

Post subject: Re: Maintenance
PostPosted: Thu Jan 6, '11, 9:59 pm 
I can't see this forum in French, I just Can't... xD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 6, '11, 10:13 pm 
Oh, I should clarify that a bit. The language packs only translate some of the default text of the board - stuff like menu links and button text. They won't alter posts or any of the larger site content. The language packs will just be there to make the board features a little more accessible to those who are more comfortable with other languages.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 7, '11, 5:50 pm 
When will you install the EngRish language pack ???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 7, '11, 10:04 pm 
oh ok, I understand... I'll stay with the good old english forum^^ Thanks Thoul ^^

PostPosted: Sat Jan 8, '11, 6:20 pm 
Ome_Joop wrote:When will you install the EngRish language pack ???

Ha, that would be a fun one to use! :lol: I don't think anyone has created a language pack like that as of yet. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 9, '11, 3:32 am 
So that's why these categories changed names*:
Screen Scene = Masterpiece Theater
Tootin' Tunes = Chamber Music
Leapin' Library = Royal Library

* Clearly I'm joking.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, '11, 9:28 pm 
I'd actually like to do that! Those are some great names. Sadly, the software doesn't support changing category or forum names based on language. :(

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]