Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, '10, 6:44 pm 
In November 1997 EGM ran a "Top 100 Games of All Time" list. I have a copy lying around and took a little peek at it. Two Phantasy Star games made the cut:

I would have ranked them both higher but whatever.

They sure didn't play very long to get those screen shots.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, '10, 7:18 pm 
Thanks :) Too bad PSIV didnt make the cut...(or PSIII...though this one I can understand if you only judge it on its popularity, it's only one of my favorite game of all time in my own little world)

Last edited by xellos667 on Fri Dec 17, '10, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, '10, 12:40 am 
I'm surprised two PS games made the list. I would have expect one, but I'm glad both of these were on it. Really, I expected PS1 would have been ranked higher, too. I bet Street Fighter II was in the top ten, given how much EGM loved that. :lol:

Thanks for sharing this with us, hugues!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, '10, 2:10 am 
It is always good to see Phantasy Star games acknowledged as one of the best ever. Of course in my opinion all four would make it to the top ten, but I´m just a PS fan, so my opinion is not unbiased :p
Anyway, both PSI and PSII were ahead of their time, so they should be in any serious list.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, '10, 8:39 am 
"Finally getting to Dark Force" Eh? I don't think any player expected to fight Dark Force when they were on their way to destroy Mother Brain, which would obviously be the final boss.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, '10, 2:13 am 
It's great to see that 2 of the PS games made the list. I would have thought more than that but what the heck. Thanks for sharing this info.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, '10, 6:37 pm 
Glad to see this. Phantasy Star deserves more love than that FF series or whatever it's called. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, '10, 11:33 am 
I wonder how many FF games are placed in the list and where. Of course there are some FF games who deserve to be in top 100, but not 5 or 6 FF in top 30 (plus 5 or 6 Zelda and 5 or 6 Mario games).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 3, '11, 1:51 am 
Old topic, but I just found a full list of the 100 games online, so I can answer that wondering about FF game placement on it. There were only two in the list. Final Fantasy VII was #21 and Final Fantasy III (the SNES one) was #9. You can read the whole list here:

EGM did the Top 100 list again in issue #150. Both Phantasy Stars dropped considerably: Phantasy Star I is 96, Phantasy Star II is 71. Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 comes in at 45. There are 5 Final Fantasys scattered through the list this time. I found this list online, too. It's more difficult to read, because the guy is striking them out, but it's serviceable.

Last edited by Thoul on Fri Jun 3, '11, 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]