Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, '10, 4:26 am 
Somehow I got through the original Phantasy Star without using maps, but now when I play it I have to use them. Maybe I've just lost some patience for navigating those mazes.

Menobe in Phantasy Star II always stumps be for some reason and I can't get through it without a map.

Now as for Phantasy Star III... I can navigate most of dungeons blindfolded at this point. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, '10, 3:45 am 
Well, I made maps of PSI as I played the game. Does that count?

I had the hint book for PSII and it was an amazing temptation to use it. I needed it for Uzo and Ikuto and managed the other dungeons, towers, dams, etc. on my own.

@Hughes- Yes, Menobe is hard. It's that upper, open-air (roof?) floor that gets me all confused. I'm not sure how I managed to get through it the first time I played it; might have been sheer luck. I also feel the enemies are over powerful for Menobe (there be dragons and shadows on that top floor), which is supposedly the first dungeon to explore on Dezo (though I guess it doesn't really matter what order you complete them, like the dams).

PSIII - I never needed maps.

PSIV - I agree that Garuberk Tower is confusing. I think I might have used a map for that one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, '10, 4:50 am 
For PS1 and 2 yes, but I never needed to use maps for 3 and 4.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, '10, 12:50 pm 
^Same for me. PSIV dungeons were darn simple compared to PS1 and especially PS2.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, '10, 6:32 pm 
When I was younger playing Phantasy Star, my older brother drew maps for all the dungeons except Medusa's Tower and Baya Malay, he said they were too hard to draw maps for. I used his maps all the time as a kid but I had to wing it through the two hardest dungeons. Nowadays I just wing it, getting lost usually provides some necessary level grinding.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, '10, 8:21 am 
In the case of PS I, I used no maps. This of course being 1991 when few to no people in my neck of the woods had a computer of any kind. :D Let me tell you, Baya Malay and Medusa's Tower were a nightmare.

PS II, I used some maps for the dungeons, though I tend to find that the less time I spend going between a map and the game the more fun I have.

PS III had only occasional use of maps. This was mostly in the connecting tunnels to help make sure I found everything hidden in them. Lashute basement also required one because I couldn't be bothered exploring every path until I found the only one that led to Dark Force.

PS IV. Well pretty much the same as PS III. They helped me find all the little things I might have forgotten to pick up otherwise. I think the one time I looked up a map for getting about was in the first part of the Air Castle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 1, '10, 2:25 am 
I usually try to do without maps but then I get lost and don't really know how to find my way so then I go to the maps. Probably should have used them to start with. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 3, '10, 1:46 am 
PSI and PSII, I need maps to get through. I made some maps of PSI's dungeons, but I think I gave up and looked on a website for the rest of them. Complex traps x_X

Alisa: Is this one trapped?
Myau: Lemme check... naaaah, we're good. Let's go!
Tairon: Hold up a minute. This part looks familiar.
Alisa: They all look familiar. None of the walls have any decorations on them, Tairon.
Lutz: And I'm afraid the compass keeps pointing us in circles.
Alisa: Well, we're not lost! Let's just keep our hands on the right-hand wall, and-
Future Party: (appear out of nowhere) ~EEEEEEEE! *thud!*
Future Tairon: Dammit. I landed on my keys...
Future Alisa: Oh! We're back here now!
Alisa: What the!?
Future Myau: Hey, it's us from five minutes ago!
Future Tairon: Hell of a trap we fell into.
Tairon: Dammit, Myau, I'm blaming this on both of you...
Future Lutz: Interesting. The stairs back down... they're to our right, aren't they?
Lutz: Um... (nods)
Future Alisa: Wow, I look good in my armor. ^_^ (they head off)
Alisa: ...What was that all about?
Tairon: Let's not think about that. Heya, Lil' Buddy, is that part over there trapped?
Myau: Mmmmm..... nope. Looks good to me.
(the party steps on the square, activating a teleport trap)
The Party: AIEEEEEEEEEEEE! *thud!*
Tairon: Dammit. I landed on my keys...
Alisa: Oh! We're back here now!
Past Alisa: What the!?
Myau: Hey, it's us from five minutes ago!
Tairon: Hell of a trap we fell into.
Past Tairon: Dammit, Myau, I'm blaming this on both of you...
Lutz: Interesting. The stairs back down... they're to our right, aren't they?
Past Lutz: Um... (nods)
Alisa: Wow, I look good in my armor. ^_^ (they head off)
Past Alisa: ...What was that all about?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 7, '10, 1:52 am 
During my first time playing Phantasy Star IV, I had my gamer's instinct to guide me, and I never took a wrong turn. However, when I played the first game, that one just confused me with its dungeons. The only time I can remember off-hand that I looked at a map would be for Odin's Cave. I just didn't know where I was going.

Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2