Page 1 of 3  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Burgers and cola
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, '10, 12:19 am 
I loved that PSI had burgers and cola instead of dimate/trimate and monomates.

It doesn't sound healthy... but at least it sounds edible!

Thoughts?


Top
 Post subject: Re: Burgers and cola
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, '10, 12:41 am 
It was indeed cool. It was also quite realistic too, especially when you looked at other RPGs released around the same time that used potions instead.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Burgers and cola
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, '10, 1:11 am 
I like more the monomate and dimate because that do more Phantasy star than the burger or cola...


Top
 Post subject: Re: Burgers and cola
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, '10, 2:33 am 
Lucas wrote:It was indeed cool. It was also quite realistic too, especially when you looked at other RPGs released around the same time that used potions instead.

And even if you were going to say what they were originally known as, at least polymate looked like a chocolate bar. (And it's because of this that lead to one of the first "Conversations Within Elsydeon" things featured on the Phantasy Star pages site, and one of my favourite of them.)

And yeah Gryz, but you never meet bums who need Monomates, so you can't have fun with those. (If there's anything I was dissapointed with, it's the Heal spell.)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Burgers and cola
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, '10, 2:44 am 
Burger and cola, even if not the real name, were perfectly fitting my Phantasy Star experience when I first tried them. Sure it's not futuristic, more modern day, but in a RPG setting of that era, modern day food sounded more futuristic than anything you could find in any other RPG


Top
 Post subject: Re: Burgers and cola
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, '10, 3:02 am 
Burgers and cola are fun in a silly, nostalgic way to me, but overall they're pretty incongruous with the feel of Phantasy Star. Then again, PSI is all over the place in terms of style and can't be narrowed down to any one particular genre. So again, the burgers and cola are fun from the nostalgic angle. It's the same way I feel about the terrible English translation. It's silly, but I don't want to play a retranslation of the game. I like the original with all its imperfections.

Also, I'm not a big fan of using food and rest as ways to replenish Hit Power, so I do favor hospitals to inns and the 'mates to food. Though nourishment and rest are important for rejuvenation, HP is battle damage, something that needs medicine or techniques/magic. A burger shouldn't help close a wound. :D


Top
 Post subject: Re: Burgers and cola
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, '10, 3:56 am 
Never liked the idea. Silly, unwanted and pointless American translation that implied that North American gamers were too dumb to cope with imaginative terms.

Besides, who the fudge uses fast food to get better...


Top
 Post subject: Re: Burgers and cola
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, '10, 4:34 am 
Tanith wrote:It's the same way I feel about the terrible English translation. It's silly, but I don't want to play a retranslation of the game. I like the original with all its imperfections.


Ah, to be able to read kanji. Must be quite awesome that you are able to do so!

Tanith wrote:Also, I'm not a big fan of using food and rest as ways to replenish Hit Power, so I do favor hospitals to inns and the 'mates to food. Though nourishment and rest are important for rejuvenation, HP is battle damage, something that needs medicine or techniques/magic. A burger shouldn't help close a wound. :D


Well, medicine is sometimes ingested, but I see your point. I don't know how Sega could have designed the game without the food/medicinal purchase option; Alis isn't able to cast "heal" until a certain point of the game, and you already visit Suelo uh, way too often. Cola heals 10 hp and burger 40 hp, which isn't much in comparison to what the better healing spells can do. Admittedly, it would be better if Sega used some other terminology, but obviously the burgers and cola in Algol are very uh, amazing, and not in the earthly, greasy, fatty fast-food sense. :lol:

Aeroprism wrote:Never liked the idea. Silly, unwanted and pointless American translation that implied that North American gamers were too dumb to cope with imaginative terms.


It probably has to do with stereotypes. I guess if Sega were translating for Italians, spaghetti and wine would be used? :lol:

OhNoHumans wrote:you never meet bums who need Monomates, so you can't have fun with those


I couldn't agree more, it is one of those tongue-in-cheek hilarious aspects of the game you don't forget: the bums asking, "could ya spare me a cup of cola?" And if you say no, you get called a tightwad. :lol:


Last edited by Rune_Walsh on Wed Jul 14, '10, 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: Burgers and cola
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, '10, 4:40 am 
Rune_Walsh wrote:Ah, to be able to read kanji. Must be quite awesome that you are able to do so!
Me? Oh, I don't know the first thing about reading Japanese! :D There's a retranslated version of PSI that exists out there somewhere that you can play through emulation, that's what I was referring to. I don't want to play that version because it takes the fun out of all the original translation quirks. Myau no longer flaps his wings ploudly! Burgers and cola don't exist, either.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Burgers and cola
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, '10, 4:54 am 
I also liked the idea but thought it was kinda gross to carry burgers around for days on end. The idea of eating one during a battle was funny too. I wonder what toppings they came with?


Top
 Page 1 of 3  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: