video games dangerous to your health ?

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

video games dangerous to your health ?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Dec 27, '17, 12:18 am

A new warning or concern by the World Health Organization that playing video games may be dangerous to your health in certain cases:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/12/26/ ... -disorder/

What does everyone think of this?

I suppose if you play for too long, and decease all your other activities, etc., that it could become a problem. It just reminds me of years ago when I would really get involved in a new Mario game and play for hours on end, with few breaks. It was so much fun!! I don't think I could do that now though. :D
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: video games dangerous to your health ?

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Dec 27, '17, 4:53 pm

Yeah, the article basically says they’re bad when consumed excessively, which isn’t news. And they are, as are most things when consumed in excess. If you eat spinach at the expense of all other food, you aren’t going to be doing so well because you’ll be missing several key nutrients. If you spend all your time watching TV, you’ll be putting your health at risk too. All things in moderation. I get nothing out of this article that says playing games is an inherently bad thing. Playing them too much is where it becomes a bad thing.

What may differentiate gaming on some level is how it activates the brain’s dopamine and rewards systems, and it does so in a way that is similar to addiction. Basically what I get out of it is people who game excessively may be considered similarly to people who gamble compulsively. They’re sensitive dopamine and the high, of you will, that it produces. And such people are generally more successful in getting control of their behavioral problems when they are approached as mental health problems, rather than personal or moral failures.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Wed Dec 27, '17, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Hukos » Thu Dec 28, '17, 6:35 am

This is just more of an argument for diversifying your interests and not making them 100% video games as opposed to "video games are bad for you".
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Postby myau56 » Thu Dec 28, '17, 12:14 pm

Yes, it could become dangerous if you play too much, that is sure ! :) But in general, the players are often smart enough not to be overtaken by the game !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Return to In the News