Worst Video Games

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Worst Video Games

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Oct 22, '07, 12:35 am

Out of all the video games you have ever played, which game have you had the worst time, or the hardest trouble, playing?

What did you not like about the game, and what made it so much trouble to play?

Did you finish the game? Have you ever played it again?

Would you recommend it to others to play?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Mon Oct 22, '07, 6:09 pm

The one that springs to mind first is Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30. It was very poorly lit and hard to see anything in that game. The controls were odd and hard to get used to, as well. I played it once and have not touched it since. I definitely would not recommend it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Mon Oct 22, '07, 6:37 pm

Monster Party. One of the weirdest NES games that I've ever had the pleasure of playing. :irked: Legs sticking up out of the ground, and the kid you play as carries around a baseball bat and, to me you "spank" them. :o Also other weird things running around, and when you get halfway through the first level, it goes from a freakishly happy atmosphere with smiling blocks and things to gory graphics, bleeding skulls replacing the blocks, etc.. You can also grab pills which change you into a gargoyle-like monster and lets you fly around for a brief period or time. I just didn't like it, was too weird for me. Didn't bother getting very far in it, either.

That's the only game that sticks out my mind as one of the worst I've ever played... I'm sure there's more.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Tue Oct 23, '07, 3:11 pm

Heroes of the Lance. It was a Nintendo game based on Dungeons and Dragons. It's really, really bad. Some people consider it one of the worst games of all time. :faint:

It's basically walking around as some D&D characters until they get killed. There's supposed to be some kind of combat system, but it's worthless.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby LordShibas » Mon Dec 24, '07, 3:37 pm

Well I try to stay away from games that are really bad, but I've played a few stinkers lately which I don't mind mentioning.

Blade Dancer:Lineage of Light for PSP - terrible in so many ways
The Lord of the Rings Return of the King for GBA - a pretty sad dungeon crawler knock off
Sword of Mana for GBA - the worst mana game I have ever played
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Dec 25, '07, 3:29 am

Teletubbies- we found it on a demo disc, and hated it. Guess what happend to it. :lol:
Gain Ground- It had very little point, and the last boss wasn't very fair.
Avatar: The burning earth- Its relatively new, $40 of some of the worst type of gaming I've seen in a while. The characters mouths don't move, the adventures aren't very linear to the show, and some of the things on the game just suck. For example, its a 2 player game, yet the battle arena lets you fight the computer for no apparent prizes. (sarcastic* Whoo! I never get to fight the computer!) Also, the gameplay almost seems to be made for young children, but have such difficult fights on easy mode, that they'd have no chance if they were much younger than me. And it couldn't possibly hold the attention of the children with the movies they put in. Unabortable....XD

lol ranting over I guess.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Snorb » Tue Dec 25, '07, 4:44 am

The Final Fantasy Legend: ...Don't get me wrong, FFLegend2 is/was freaking phenomenal. It's just that its predecessor, FFLegend, is like getting punched in the face.

Humans don't gain stat boosts from fighting at all. Instead, you have to buy potions for them (Strength, Agility, or HP200/400/600). The Strength/Agility potions boost the chosen stat by a measly 2, and the HP potions only give you 5~15 HP (up to a certain bound, where you get ONE HP.) These potions aren't random drops at all. (Mercifully, this is fixed in the sequel by letting Humans gain stats after a fight.)

Mutants get eight equipment slots, just like humans, but their equipment slots are soon taken up by their mutant powers (which change completely at random after fights. Again, fixed in FFLegend2.) Their stats may boost after a fight, but it's, again, random.

Monsters... no stat boosts after combat. Can't use equipment. They get a chance to eat the remains of the enemies you kill (the most common item drop of all >_<), and they change into another monster type. The problem, you ask? There's 26 types of monsters, and 5 kinds of monster per type. Good luck levelling a monster up back in 1989, before the internet had guides on this stuff.

Add to that a barely literate translation (like, FF2 Prototype barely literate) and a crappy ending, and there you go. Worst video game ever.

EDIT: Kaloes reminded me that you can instakill Creator, the final boss, with the Chainsaw if you have 209 or more Strength. Congratulations, FFL1 party, you can rip God in half with a chainsaw. Why did I download this ROM again?
Last edited by Snorb on Tue Dec 25, '07, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Celeith » Tue Dec 25, '07, 5:06 am

Worst game ever? Paladins Quest for the snes hands down.. Look it up, look at videos, you'll see what I'm talking about >< The game is basic but its graphics are just so horrible and the storyline just makes one want to rip their eyes out and let the dog eat them while the dog is being put to sleep at the vet office.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Thoul » Sat Dec 29, '07, 4:44 am

EDIT: Kaloes reminded me that you can instakill Creator, the final boss, with the Chainsaw if you have 209 or more Strength. Congratulations, FFL1 party, you can rip God in half with a chainsaw. Why did I download this ROM again?

Seriously? Wow, I remember him being a really hard fight when I played this game on my GameBoy. I think I still have the game. If I had known that back then, I would have use that trick just to get to the ending. That game was so frustrating.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Sat Dec 29, '07, 6:24 am

lol, I looked up Paladins quest, reminds me of some of the florescent lights in Las vegas. XDDDD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Next

Return to Tech and Design