Video Game Memories

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Video Game Memories

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jul 16, '14, 11:49 pm

Found this article showing a few things in the past related to video games that people of today's current time and age may not have to deal with. It's a real blast from the past, lol. See how many of these things you remember:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/norbertobriceno ... ew-pew-pew
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Video Game Memories

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Jul 17, '14, 6:58 am

25/34. Got me some nostalgia going on right now. Makes me wish I still had a Genesis so I could dust off my copies of Phantasy Star, I mean sure, I could play them on the Genesis Collection, but it just doesn't feel the same.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby S4Blade » Sat Jul 19, '14, 3:17 pm

#19. Ahhhh the Game Genie. The only way I was ever able to beat Smash TV on SNES. I swear Smash TV is pretty much impossible without it.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Thoul » Sun Jul 20, '14, 12:19 am

There's only 8 things on the list I don't recall doing/having in some form or another. Of course, my controllers still have cables when possible and I still have to stock pile batteries for the controllers that don't (which now includes my PC mouse and keyboard).
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby S4Blade » Sun Jul 20, '14, 4:21 am

You have a wireless keyboard and mouse? I tried using a Razer Mamba to play Call of Duty one time, and it was terrible. It felt so sluggish and laggy, and it was supposed to be a "gaming mouse". I never used a wireless mouse for gaming again after that.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Thoul » Sun Jul 20, '14, 6:07 am

For gaming, I greatly prefer using a controller to either keyboard or mouse. I grew up on consoles, so I'm just more comfortable with those hand positions.

But yeah, I've been using a wireless keyboard and mouse for a little while now. I haven't really tried them in gaming at all, but they work pretty well. The keyboard is a Microsoft Wireless Laser 6000 that I picked up second hand. $70-ish keyboard and I paid $6 for it. It's been working perfectly, too ( until this morning, when I had to suddenly reinstall the drivers when trying to write a post, grrr!) It was supposed to come with a matching mouse, but that wasn't present when I found the keyboard at one of the local thrift stores.

My mouse is a fairly cheap $10 one I found in a Big Lots store. Five buttons, scroll wheel, a recessed area for the thumb on the left side of the mouse. It's really quite comfortable, practically a perfect fit for my hand. I doubt I'd like it too much for gaming though, because it occasionally loses signal with the computer. When that happens I have to get up, unplug the mouse receiver from the rear of my PC and plug it back in. Not conducive to good gaming, I'd imagine. Still, it's a decent enough mouse for what it cost.
Last edited by Thoul on Sun Jul 20, '14, 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Sun Jul 20, '14, 9:17 am

I tend to use keyboard for most game with a few controller exceptions. I have a Logitech G510 keyboard which set me back $150 and I have a CM Storm Inferno mouse which set me back $60. But I love it.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Tweeg » Sun Jul 20, '14, 4:18 pm

Only four on that list I can't say I recall.

8. 7-11 Didn't exist here until just this year (2014) when they went on a multi-million dollar buyout spree of both privately and regional chain owned gas stations. Now I have two within a mile of home.

10. I knew of R.O.B. but didn't own it until the late 90's and still have yet to actually use him to play a game as by the time I got him I'd put the R.O.B. compatible games in storage. And here twenty years later almost I have the reverse problem, R.O.B. is in storage and the games aren't.

14. Didn't own a copy of Contra until this century. Not played it to speak of since buying. More amazingly, none of my friends had a copy of it back in the day either.

23. Quality cotrol was much better in the previous century, and the example image shown is for a that wasn't released in North America. I honestly do not recall playing games back then that had gramatically poor translations, aside from the occassional word that should have been capitalized but wasn't.

And as for batteries, Rechargeables all the way. Ni-MH's are cheaper than ever and I own about sixty of them right now in the form of "AAA", "AA", and "9V" batteries. Only the "9V' batteries were a bit pricey, but they pay for themselves rather quickly if you have equipment that uses them, which I do.
Last edited by Tweeg on Sun Jul 20, '14, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Flames of Yagami » Tue Jul 22, '14, 2:53 am

I may not have grown up in the late 80's to early 90's (only 18), but having an older brother who did grow up back then, I was lucky enough to be aware of a lot of this. Just want to comment on a few things:

1. The Zelda games aren't the only ones worthy enough to have gold cartridges; there's Pokemon Gold on Gameboy, too :). I still wish they colored the carts, but Emerald Version was the last to do that, and that was almost 10 years ago! Oh, and there's the extremely rare gold Nintendo World Championship cart.

2. While I like having wireless controllers, it can be annoying to recharge them every so often.

8. That reminds me of something incredibly bizarre I heard about in an episode of G4's Icons (which I highly recommend watching, look it up on YouTube): in the early 80's, video games were so over-saturated that there were even a few funeral homes that had Pac-Man machines!

13. That show butchered Mega Man and Simon Belmont terribly. *Shudders*

14. I can beat Super Contra without the code just fine, but with the first game? Not so much...

23. SNK's fighting games are full of this.

30. To this day, I have to resort to a moveslist for a majority of the MK games. Memorizing special moves in those games is much more complex than what you see in something like Street Fighter.
Last edited by Flames of Yagami on Tue Jul 22, '14, 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Jul 22, '14, 6:21 pm

Reading this, I just hear James Rolfe's (AKA Angry Video Game Nerd) voice in my head complaining about basically ALL of these. Especially LJN.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Next

Return to Retro Roundup