Vicks to become PETA spokesman?

Companions of all kinds - furry, feathered, fishy and more!

Vicks to become PETA spokesman?

Postby Thoul » Sat May 2, '09, 12:51 am

Some of you may not have heard of him or may have forgotten, but Michael Vicks was a pro football player sent to jail for being part of an illegal dog fighting ring a few years ago. He's getting released from prison soon, so now PETA is talking with Vicks about becoming their new spokesman. This is a fellow who "admitted to participating in the sometimes torturous deaths of dogs that underperformed [in fighting], including death by drowning, hanging and electrocution."

That article is really long, but basically it seems to be something of a PR scheme. Vicks had a US $130 million contract to play football for seven years. His career was ruined when the dog fighting came to light; he's been banned from pro football. The head authority in the sport hasn't ruled out letting him play again, though, if Vicks can show real remorse over his actions. PETA wants him to undergo psychological evaluation to see if he's really seen the light or if it's just a scheme.

What do you think, should PETA take this guy on? Or maybe I should ask, "will they," since PETA doesn't always seem to do what they "should."
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Vicks to become PETA spokesman?

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sat May 2, '09, 1:12 am

I am a serious animal lover, and I'll say this: PETA has proven that they are insane with their antics in the past, but if they truly choose to have this jerk -- Michael Vicks -- as spokesman for animal rights, then they truly will lose any and all credibility.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat May 2, '09, 4:02 pm

Well, I am a huge animal lover, so I guess what I'm going to say now may come as a surprise to some, but I think Michael Vick has served his time for his crime and now he deserves a second chance in his life to have a career in football (if he so chooses and can find it) or do anything else he wants, as long as it is crime free, of course.

The man made a huge mistake, has paid for that mistake with prison time, as well as losing his football career, his home, his reputation, and just about everything else. He now deserves a second chance to " try and get it right this time ". Two strikes and you're out, though, IMHO!

I think by and large, Vick has gotten a lot of what he deserves from all this due to his actions, however, he also has gotten a bad shake in some ways, I think. Some criminals who have committed mass murders haven't gotten it as bad as he has.

Also With Vick and this dog fighting, I think you have to understand a lot of his upbringing and the culture of life he was raised in, etc. As unpopular as dog fighting is today, to many and for a long time, it has been almost a " way of life " to some people in some towns and communities. People have been brought up this way for years. Just look at "chicken fighting" and stuff like that. Also not nice, but to some it may be a " way of life ". One that needs to be changed, of course, but changes take time and that is happening every passing day as people realize it is wrong, etc. Of course, dog fighting and killing dogs are two different things, but closely related, I guess you could say. I think someone has to be a part of a certain generation or time period or area before they can really understand how some things are or may be.

As far as him doing a promotion with PETA, I guess that's fine if he wants to do it and is sincere. It could be a great help to animals, and then it could mean absolutely nothing. Only time will tell.

I don't have very much high regard for PETA myself at the moment and I don't think a lot of other people do either, so maybe he should think it over if he wants to do it with THEM!! :yaknow:

Don't get me wrong, I applaud PETA's (and anyone else's) efforts to try and save animals, etc., however, there is a right way to do it and a wrong way. PETA's recent commercial with ladies and vegetables during the previous Superbowl game comes immediately to mind as one example, and I have read of other things. :yikes:

I do think Vick will get his football career back again at some point and time, but I don't know if he will ever be as popular or as successful as he once was. He may have something to prove, though, either to the fans or himself and could be as successful as he once was. I, for one, wish him luck.
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat May 2, '09, 5:09 pm

Well...I think that's the end of what credibility PETA had left.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Darkil » Sat May 2, '09, 6:30 pm

If PETA was aiming for the Ultimate Irony Trophy then I believe they have won. This proves that they are <insert explictive here> stupid.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Srijita » Sat May 2, '09, 9:15 pm

Thoul wrote:"admitted to participating in the sometimes torturous deaths of dogs that underperformed [in fighting], including death by drowning, hanging and electrocution."

My God, I'm horrified to hear that unspeakable barbarism of this type still happens. One often hears of individual cases of cruelty, but organised brutality on this scale is beyond shameful and sickening.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Return to Amazing Animals