Valentine's Day Boycott - what do you think?

Celebrating all those special times in each year.

Should Valentine's Day be boycotted?

Yes
No votes
No
100%
Undecided
No votes
Don't Care
No votes
Other - tell in post below
No votes

Total votes : 2

Valentine's Day Boycott - what do you think?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Feb 8, '08, 8:54 am

I saw this guy on Fox news today and he was talking about all the reasons why he thinks Valentine's Day should be boycotted, especially by men.

He made several arguments trying to state his case and opinions. He even referrered to it, or something, as a form of "legalized prostituiton", I think.

I had never really thought about it that much before, but I suppose that men and women do have different opinions or views regarding Valentine's Day, much as they do with so many other different issues.

So, what do you think? Is this guy crazy, or what? Should Valentine's Day be boycotted? After reading a list of some of the books he has written, it is easy to see why he feels this way regarding this special day, etc.

Personally, I think he has a good point about men feeling a little pressure because of the day as it is very hard to buy a special gift for someone sometimes, especially one you think they might really like and enjoy. However, his assumption or statement that all the pressure is on men, and women suffer none of that, are absolutely ridiculous.

Here's a few links to read more:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_p ... _n17219401

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_p ... _n15990155

Opinions or Comments?
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Fri Feb 8, '08, 9:45 am

He even referrered to it, or something, as a form of "legalized prostituiton", I think.

It sounds like he has no real understanding of what either of those terms mean. He's probably just trying to stir up controversy to promote his books. I wouldn't give this kind opinion the time of day.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Fri Feb 8, '08, 3:41 pm

Ludicrous. I can see how it may be expensive if a woman is demanding and all like, "Buy me lots of jewelry, thanks hun! <3" (and not all women are like that, either) but really... Legalized prostitution? o_O Whom would be the prostitutes in this case, the girlfriends and wives of men?

I don't think the holiday should be boycotted. There's others that I'd rather see rejected, really.

Now, this makes me wonder if it's some stereotype that it's always the men doing things for their significant others. Surely there's some women who do things for their men, too.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Return to Holidays