USS Enterprise to be scrapped

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

USS Enterprise to be scrapped

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Mar 13, '12, 2:18 am

The USS Enterprise aircraft carrier is on her final mission and when that is over she will return home to be scrapped:

http://now.msn.com/entertainment/0311-n ... d=ansnow11

This is truly sad. There must be some way they can give this ship a reprieve and save it!!!

Actor Leonard Nimoy (Spock of "Star TreK") had comments to say about the ship as you can see in the article.

The ship was also used in the movie "Top Gun" which should be an important reason to keep her around also.

I hope they can save it by making it a museum, somekind of a tourist attraction or something.

Anyone have any other suggestions on how this ship may be saved??
Last edited by Silver_Surfer1 on Tue Mar 13, '12, 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: USS Enterprise to be scrapped

Postby Thoul » Tue Mar 13, '12, 9:21 am

All these years, I thought the ship had appeared in the movie Star Trek IV as well. I did some reading tonight and learned that the carrier was in neither Top Gun nor Star Trek IV. The films actually featured another ship filling the role.

I'm sure a lot of people have very emotional memories of the ship, so I hope it can be turned into a museum. There should be some way for it to continue being useful, even if it is no longer in military service. Perhaps the name will be carried on by another ship in the future.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tanith » Tue Mar 13, '12, 5:40 pm

Aww. I'm sorry to hear that. Did you know the founder of Enterprise Rent-A-Car named his business after the carrier?
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Thoul » Tue Mar 13, '12, 8:35 pm

You know, every time I saw a commercial for Enterprise Rent-A-Car, I always wondered if that was the case. I haven't seen the commercials in a long time now, so I haven't thought about looking it up. It's nice to finally know. Thanks, Tanith! :)
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby myau56 » Fri Mar 16, '12, 12:27 pm

Yes, why not made a museum from it ! Should have been so great but... not all the historical stuff is keep and transformed into something which can be showed or use as a museum or sort of historical park (as an History's Lover...)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Tanith » Fri Mar 23, '12, 2:11 am

Thoul wrote:You know, every time I saw a commercial for Enterprise Rent-A-Car, I always wondered if that was the case. I haven't seen the commercials in a long time now, so I haven't thought about looking it up. It's nice to finally know. Thanks, Tanith! :)

Yup, the founder of the company was a WWII fighter pilot and USS Enterprise crew member ...of the aircraft carrier, I mean. Not the Starfleet vessel. ;) And obviously he wasn't aboard the Enterprise during WWII.

I would like to see it turned into a museum as well.

Edited: Okay, I just did a bit of research, and it seems that dismantling its nuclear reactors will pretty much tear up the whole bottom of the ship, and that can't really be avoided. However, it's been suggested that the island portion could be transformed into a memorial. Now that would be neat. Older article here, but read "The End of the Line" segment: http://www.navytimes.com/news/2010/09/n ... t-092010w/
Last edited by Tanith on Fri Mar 23, '12, 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Thoul » Fri Mar 23, '12, 6:10 am

Ah, the reactors. That's a good reason for not converting into a museum. Those definitely have to be taken out, for public safety if nothing else, and I'm sure that will be a huge task. Hopefully the island will get saved. That would be better than nothing.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby myau56 » Fri Mar 23, '12, 10:25 am

Very interesting article ! Thanks Tanith. Reactors are always a possible "threat" for people and that's the case here unfortunately...A memorial with the island portion ? Good idea indeed.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Mar 24, '12, 12:50 am

Tanith, thanks for that additional information regarding this ship. I hadn't thought about it being torn up like that when getting rid of the nuclear reactors but that explains a great deal. I hope they can atleast save part of the ship somehow.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Return to Casual Conversation