Used Video Games

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Re: Used Video Games

Postby myau56 » Fri Apr 6, '12, 9:48 am

Terrible ! My favourite Video Games seller has just closed his shop one week ago... too many problems to sell them anymore, for used games too with all those pressures :( Sad thing after 18 years of presence...
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Tweeg » Sun Apr 29, '12, 6:16 pm

Caged Wolf wrote:Well, they have profits to protect. When you buy a used game, the developers get nothing for it. Only the middleman vendor gets the money. That's how a good portion of Gamestop's business model is built. And it benefits gamers of course but developers lose out.

I personally like used games. It's cheaper for me that way, though I have gotten a few broken discs. But I can also understand why developers are doing what they are. Gaming is a business and they are in it for money. Used games affect their profits so they strive to protect them.

Not trying to mock you or anything CW, just noticed we can change the product topicallity of your post to another type of goods with an existing used market presence and it just makes this whole issue look even more ridiculous than it already is.

--
Well, they have profits to protect. When you buy a used car, the manufacturer gets nothing for it. Only the middleman vendor gets the money. That's how a good portion of car lot's business model is built. And it benefits drivers of course but manufacturers lose out.

I personally like used cars. It's cheaper for me that way, though I have gotten a few clunkers. But I can also understand why manufacturers are doing what they are. Automotive production is a business and they are in it for money. Used cars affect their profits so they strive to protect them.

--

Can you imagine the mass global outrage from consumers if you were stuck with a car once you bought it unable to resell it because it was somehow tethered to you solely? It would be chaos. People would boycott any such vehicle models from a car company that dared such stupidity because it's an ideaology based on a hideously contrived goal of elimination and usurpment of absolute control over the secondary market.

This is what is actually unfolding before us with the video game market at present and you can bet if the gaming industry succeeds at this insanity other types of goods industries will not be long in following into this absurd trend.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Apr 29, '12, 8:28 pm

No problem, and you make a good point. However, in my original post I said I like used games, which implies I don't support these moves against the used game market (and I don't, and I personally don't think it's very good for the overall long-term health of the gaming industry as a whole as it would likely push some consumers, especially lower income consumers, out of the gaming market, new and used, entirely). And of course it would also upset the industry's consumer base. I'm just saying that I can understand the issue from the developer's standpoint. I don't think they're being very far-sighted in taking these moves. I don't agree with it, but I can understand it.

Second-hand markets for consumers are great things. I think any industry that really does try to destroy the legitimate second hand market would probably be hurting itself in the long run by hurting the consumer base, pushing consumer demand down, and alienating their remaining base.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sun Apr 29, '12, 8:28 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Sun Apr 29, '12, 8:37 pm

CW : your second in your lasdt post is a perfect résumé of the facts : I totally agree as second-hand markets are IMPERATIVE and must continue to live.
But yes the game developers can be a bit disapointed by the fact that sometimes they could have been earning more "money" from second-hand games.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Previous

Return to General Gaming