Unlicensed accessories

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Unlicensed accessories

Postby Thoul » Tue Oct 20, '09, 4:34 pm

Have you ever used any unlicensed accessories for any of your game systems? Examples would be a memory card or controller that weren't approved by the company that made the system. There are even some games that were unlicensed back on the NES. If you've had any, did they ever give you any problems?

I was reading this morning that Microsoft's next Xbox 360 update is going to block unlicensed memory storage (cards and hard drives, it sounds like). Fortunately I don't have any of that, but I do have a third party controller for the system that isn't licensed.

I had some unlicensed PlayStation 1 memory cards and a PS2 controller. I can't use that controller with Star Ocean 3 because it makes the characters move on their own, but it works great with other games. The memory cards always worked fine for me, but I've heard about them failing for other people.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Unlicensed accessories

Postby Darkil » Tue Oct 20, '09, 5:20 pm

I have quite a bit of 3rd party stuff from last generation and the generation before that, of course some of it failed and caused much grief and aggrivation so I've since took a stance on purchasing 1st party accessories.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Schala Zeal » Thu Nov 12, '09, 6:59 pm

Usually 3rd party stuff works well for me-- Though controllers are something that I'm really finicky about. Usually 3rd party controllers have some funky design, so I don't like using those. 3rd party memory cards usually work well, but sometimes they don't... Fit in the memory card slot like they're supposed to. D: A LAN adapter that I have works well at home, but doesn't work while I'm in the dorms. Hrm...
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Wed Nov 25, '09, 1:26 am

It seems one of the memory card making companies has decided to sue Microsoft over their move to block the unlicensed memory. There have been a few lawsuits regarding unofficial accessories in the past, but those usually involved the game console makers suing the producers of the accessories - like Nintendo suing over the Game Genie or such. This time it's reversed. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lucas » Wed Nov 25, '09, 2:01 am

In the way of unlicensed accessories I own a PS2 controller made by a company called MadCatz® it has a car design on it and it works fine just like any usually PS2 controller should. All my memory card however are the proper Sony ones.

I also have an unlicensed SNES controller, which is purple and has a turbo button on it. I also have another peripheral called the Super Advantage which is basically like an arcade board it has all the SNES buttons plus a few speed and control adjustment switches on it as well as a joy stick. I never really bothered using the super advantage for any game play but from what I have used of it never faulted.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Thoul » Wed Nov 25, '09, 5:35 pm

I thought the Super Advantage was licensed? Maybe I'm confusing it with the NES Advantage, though. I have both of those myself. They're great, though I didn't like the Super Advantage as much as the NES Advantage. The NES version really felt like classic arcade controls, but the Super didn't pull that off as well.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tweeg » Thu Nov 26, '09, 5:07 am

I'v got tons of unliscensed gear for many of my consoles.

Of noteworthyness, the unofficial rumble (er, Paru Paru) packs for the DC actually hold up much better than the official Sega made ones.

Have various unofficial controllers of all types for the Atari 2600/7800, Genesis, SNES, N64, PS1, DC, and PS2. Have Game Genie's for the NES, SNES, Genesis, and Game Gear. Game Shark's for the PS1 and DC. Import adaptors for the Genesis and Saturn. Unofficial memory cards for the PS1, DC, PS2, and Xbox.

And in the case of the PS1 and PS2, I really hate the official Sony controllers, so I only use thrid party controllers for those two systems.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Lucas » Fri Nov 27, '09, 10:11 am

Thoul wrote:I thought the Super Advantage was licensed? Maybe I'm confusing it with the NES Advantage, though. I have both of those myself. They're great, though I didn't like the Super Advantage as much as the NES Advantage. The NES version really felt like classic arcade controls, but the Super didn't pull that off as well.

It could be licensed I’m not 100% sure though :? . I’ll have to go dig it out of the storeroom and look for “Nintendo” somewhere on it

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Return to Tech and Design