Unforgiving - New Amy Sage Fanart piece.

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

Unforgiving - Amy Sage

Unforgiving - Amy Sage

View Gallery Page

Unforgiving - New Amy Sage Fanart piece.

Postby Xander » Wed Jun 30, '10, 8:20 pm

So I got a chance to try my new Prismacolor pencils today and boy did they do the job!

Now I know I already did a piece of Amy art but I really wanted to do this particular one at some point as well because she looks so * in this one but I didn't want to do it before I could do it half decently. :p It took me 7 failed attempts (the head was either too fat, too thin, too pointy, too curved) and 6 hours total of straight graft plus I missed dinner, but it seems to have paid off. :D Enjoy.

As always, comments, feedback, critique are welcome. :)

Now I need to get a new pad before this one runs out soon.
Last edited by Xander on Mon Jul 5, '10, 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Re: Unforgiving - New Amy Sage Fanart piece.

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jun 30, '10, 9:59 pm

Awesome Art, Xander! Love those colors. :clap: Keep up the good work. :yes:

Sorry you missed dinner, though. Hope you got something to eat anyway.
Last edited by Silver_Surfer1 on Wed Jun 30, '10, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Xander » Wed Jun 30, '10, 10:12 pm

Not bad for a third piece is it? Considering I was working from a 8"x3" picture. I know I'm really happy with this one, mostly because of the time it took and also because it means the money on the new pencils was well spent. :D I am tempted to redo the eyes though, I just couldn't quite get them to look ahead. I need to find a better example.

However, I shall be rescanning it later. Mainly because I did this with a 9 year old combo printer, scanner and copier. Take it from me, you should use a proper scanner. The colours in this picture are much more vibrant and less flushed looking in the actual piece and I really want to do it justice.

And yes, I got something to eat. :) I just defrosted some curry and boiled up some rice. But for dinner at 8pm, I wasn't all that hungry. It was worth it anyway, the amount of times I wanted to give up. The main problem was getting the head right. The rest wasn't so bad, except the hands and orb. I need a new rubber too, I've worn the current one down to a tiny ball. I can't believe it took me 6 hours though! :D

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Jun 30, '10, 10:53 pm

Well done! Colored pencils are the best, you can do so much with them.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Lucas » Wed Jun 30, '10, 11:28 pm

Good job yet again dude. The shading of colours is perfect. Keep the Amy art coming. ;)

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Xander » Wed Jun 30, '10, 11:43 pm

Well I'm afraid this may be the last one of her for a while. I need to do some of the other characters you know? :p

I'm glad you like the colours. I'm happy with the way they worked too. I love how the pencils allow me to layer colours on top of each other. For the cloak I put down a rough layer of light then darker blue and worked them in with white and worked them together to blend and smooth them together and into the white space I had left. The same applies to the skin too. Two shades and some white. And now I see it, I start to feel as though I'm just doing the model painting all over again but with pencils! Looks like I learned a lot more than I thought. :D

As I said, I'm going to give it a proper re-scan later so you'll actually be able to see it how I see it. The pale colours have all been removed in the process it seems and while this removes any smudges and such on the paper, it also removes the finer details from view. :evil:

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Tanith » Thu Jul 1, '10, 5:17 am

Hooray! Moar Amy! I do like the way you've done her cape here; excellent job! I always wondered what she was casting in that pic. She's not really known for attack techs, so it's interesting she looks so fierce while casting what I guess is one of her healing or defense techs. Deban?

Amy: Look out, earthmen, and fear my... INVISIBLE SHIELD!
Anna: Uh, Amy? I already used the Snow Crown, so...
Amy: ...
Anna: Sorry.
Amy: Goshdarnit, can't I be fierce just once?
Rolf: You might want to start by losing the 'goshdarnit.'
Amy: *flashes Rolf an evil eye*
Anna: Oh, now that was fierce.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Thoul » Fri Jul 2, '10, 1:57 am

Ooh, Amy's looking mean! :D Excellent job on her facial expression, Xander! Those Prismacolors really paid off. If the original looks even better than the scan, it must be really vibrant.

If there is one thing about this drawing that I think could be improved, it's the hands. Hands are really hard to draw I know (you do not want to see my attempts :P), so this may be something you're aware of already. Her hands look a little too thin and flat.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Snorb » Fri Jul 2, '10, 5:27 am

Amy: I can't forgive you... not after what you've done. Never.
Shir: Amy, calm down! We can get more shortcake!
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Xander » Fri Jul 2, '10, 8:41 am

Looooool Snorb! :lol: Maybe she finally snapped. And right at the very end too. She could always have just fenced the Earthmen into a corner with a barrier so they can't move anywhere. Eventually they'd starve to death. I'm telling you, Amy is one mad doctor. ;)

Thoul wrote:Ooh, Amy's looking mean! :D Excellent job on her facial expression, Xander! Those Prismacolors really paid off. If the original looks even better than the scan, it must be really vibrant.

If there is one thing about this drawing that I think could be improved, it's the hands. Hands are really hard to draw I know (you do not want to see my attempts :P), so this may be something you're aware of already. Her hands look a little too thin and flat.

Indeed they did Thoul. I could maybe use some of the verithins for minor detailing but so far so good. A few new colours may be in order but what I have now is great.
The hands, yes the hands. So very awkward were they, nevermind the image not giving me a lot to work with. :p But I figured giving how they were mostly obscured by the orb, I could get away with it. Plus I can easily redraw them later. There are no colours that will be damaged by erasing.
I'm going to rescan it tomorrow Thoul so I'll upload it for comparison before updating the gallery. Oh, and here's the image I was using, same size as I had. Just for those who are curious. The hands are almost invisible.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Next

Return to Artwork